Marvel vs Capcom 3/Haggar
In a nutshell
Haggar is a slow, brute of a grappler with some interesting tricks and one of the best assists in the game. His game-plan revolves around slowly stalking his enemies before surprising them with a grab or a lead pipe. Haggar's lariat move is unique in that it takes some of his health to perform (just like Final Fight!). This must be a trade-off for the fact that the move is fully invincible from head to toe until its recovery time. If slowly stalking your opponents and then scoring huge damage is your game, or you want the only fully invincible assist in the game on your team, give Haggar a spin.
inflicts red damage
Notes: Can be executed outside of the corner, but some characters will fall out of it, only certain OTG assists will work well with the added j. , and it is generally more difficult. Without the j. , it does 637,000 damage.
Tips and Tricks
- Haggar's Hoodlum Launcher can be a hit or a grab, and they look the same on startup. This will be Haggar's main mid-range mixup.
- Scoring a Double Lariat is a lot bigger a deal than it seems. Even though you lose some health, you can super cancel this move into either Haggar Press or Rapid Fist supers. If you go with Rapid Fist, you can launch and add more to your combo after to really make people regret coming into Haggar's space.
- Try jumping forward and pressing + right away. Not only is this a very fast overhead, but if the pipe hits, you'll score a and the combo of your choice.
- Haggar may need the right assist to help him close in, but do not discount his air normals. Most of his air normals will remain active until he lands, keeping a threatening hitbox active underneath him.
- Haggar can Kara-cancel his crouching Heavy attack into some of his moves such as his Flying Piledriver grab, his Rapid Fire Fist Hyper combo and his Hyper Haggar Slam level 3 Hyper combo. This adds a great deal of distance to these attacks, giving you a much greater chance of landing these close range moves.
- Though you generally are only allowed one in a combo, you can add Haggar's Rapid Fire Fist after a pipe and still keep the combo going.
- You can use Haggar's crouching heavy attack to put yourself in a downed state and then safely roll towards your opponent.
- Haggar's Wild Swing increases with damage based on his height, so putting him at the end of your team can be effective if you tag to him through an aerial combo.
- Haggar's jumping light is an extremely useful move. It has high priority and as it constantly stays out as long as you're in the air, it can cancel out numerous Hyper Combo's, such as Wesker's Phantom Dance. It's also extremely safe on block, and easily comboable.
- Haggar's Hyper Haggar Slam can be combo'd out of using a fast enough assist, as it puts the opponent in a floored state.
When approaching an opponent try doing an unpredictable variation of pipes and head butts. If the headbutt connects in the while the opponent is on the ground and it will give huge stun. If you counter hit them on the ground it dizzys, you can do anything from this including his level 3 grab. If you counter hit them in the air it puts them into an unrecoverable knockdown and when Haggar lands all of his moves will hit OTG.
Haggar is unfortunately very predictable in his approaches. To mix up your opponent do a normal in the air and stop your momentum with a whiff pile driver. You can do this as many times as you want in the air.