Marvel vs Capcom 3/Spencer
From Shoryuken Wiki, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Strategy and More!
In a nutshell
Spencer is a unique character with a small variety of moves, but a lot of ways to use them. Using his Bionic Arm, he can make up for his otherwise poor speed by pulling himself around the stage. This also leads to some very unique combo opportunities, and sometimes command throw setups that lead to more combos. He even comes equipped with one of the fastest super moves in the game! If you like a small set of tools that require creativity to work with, grab onto Spencer.
Tips and Tricks
- While Spencer's Bionic Smash overhead is not cancellable, it can be linked into Armor Piercer, which gives a wall bounce and hyper of choice. It can also freely be chained from other normals, so when combined with a pressure assist can make for some dangerous un-pushblockable high/low attack strings.
- Spencer can combo off of all of his normal throws except for his grounded back throw. Use the Air Wire Grapple to get things going.
- Spencer can Wire Pull and/or Wire Swing three times before he has to land. Pull yourself to the top and swing around while calling an assist to cover your approach on the way down.
- Bionic Lancer is fast, and can punish all kinds of mistakes from mid to full screen. If it hits correctly, you might even be able to land an Air Wire Grapple afterwards.
- Spencer can Wave Dash, but you won't want to do it. It moves him slower than dashing normally.
- CHARACTER SPECIFIC (Sentinel): For the maximum damage and advantage against Sentinel from a Jaw Breaker command grab, use the M version. Due to either Sentinel's large size or an increased falling speed, you can't hit him while he is falling from any version of Jaw Breaker with any normals or supers. The Armor Piercer will hit him if done correctly, in and out of the corner. Try to stick with the M version if you can time the Critical Smash attack properly for maximum damage, otherwise go with the L version and an Armor Piercer follow-up. Either way, comboing Sentinel out of a Jaw Breaker will result in the loss of 1 wall bounce for your combo.