Marvel vs Capcom 3/Super-Skrull
In a nutshell
Super Skrull is a very deliberate character that generally needs to make precise choices to win. He has a very unique command grab that lets him nab you from very far away, and one that grabs you out of the air as well. Skrull coming at you from behind an assist can be pretty scary. He also hits pretty hard, and his playstyle feels very rewarding very quickly.
Tips and Tricks
- When Skrull is on point using Assist Y, the Tenderizer, his THC move (Skrull Torch) become a zero frame attack at very close range. This means that if you aren't already blocking when the super flash occurs, you've already been hit.
- Follow behind slow moving assists, like Doom's rocks or Sentinel's drones. Grab your opponent's before they even get a chance to block these projectiles. If you think they are going to jump back, use the anti-air Elastic slam.
- Carefully punish projectile users with Meteor Smash, and cancel it into a super for damage.
Finding Good Synergy
- Finding a team that works well with Skrull can be daunting if you don't have an idea in mind. Starting with the basics:
- Skrull is a meter-user. His damage, more often than not, comes from his hyper combos.
- With that in mind, you'll need a battery (a character who does decent damage without hypers, and builds hyper meter quickly). Good batteries include:
- Morrigan (meter-building assist)
- Chris Redfield
- NOTE: Keep in mind that this is a small list of possible batteries. Depending on playstyle, some can even be used on point.
Depending on how you use Skrull, you will need an assist to compliment his tactics. If your style is rushdown-oriented, you'll need an assist that leaves virtually no room for the opponent to force their way through your block-string gaps.
- Dr. Doom (Hidden Missle)
- Sentinel (Sentinel Force Bomb)
- Dante (Jam Session)
Skrull has a variety of ways to close the distance on his opponent, and an answer to almost any situation, making him one of the more versatile characters in the game.
Wave-dashing is a straightforward method to get in. Skrull's dashes are quick, and he can cover ground fairly quickly. It is important to keep in mind that attempting to wave-dash too quickly will result in a Tenderizer, and leave you wide open for a counter-attack, so be careful with this. Be sure not to become too predictable, especially if your opponent knows what's coming.
Skrull's air-dash is unique in the sense that he travels in an upward arc. Once Skrull's air-dash is over, he has no horizontal mobility.
Canceling the Air-Dash
The air-dash can be canceled with:
- Skrull Smash ( + ) - This move causes Skrull to shoot straight down quickly and cause a ground bounce if it connects, which you can then dash in and follow up with a combo.
- Charged j. - Also stops his horizontal movement, and has incredible range, often crossing up. The move is safe on block, unlike the Skrull Smash, and can also be followed up with a combo. The downside is that it has a huge startup time, and opponents can often stuff it with projectiles/supers/etc.==
Bread and Butter Combos
- c. , c. , c. , , j. , j. , j. , j. , x3 (Ground Tenderizer) xx + (Skrull Torch) OR + (Inferno)**
- j. + (Skrull Smash), (dash), , , j. , j. , j. , j. , c. + hold xx + (Skrull Torch) OR + (Inferno)** -- ~459,300/597,000dmg
- + (Elastic Slam), (dash), x3 (Ground Tenderizer), + (Skrull Torch) OR + (Inferno)**
- c. , c. , c. , , j. , j. , j. , j. , (dash), j. + (Skrull Smash)( ), (dash) , j. , j. , j. , j. , x3 (Ground Tenderizer)( ) -- 484,800dmg
- j. hold , c. , c. , , j. , j. , j. , j. , (dash), x3 (Ground Tenderizer) xx + (Death Penalty)
OTG Assist Combos
NOTE: *Using Wesker's Samurai Edge assist*
- c. , c. , c. , , j. , j. , j. , j. , OTGAssist, followed by:
- j. + (Skrull Smash), (dash), , , j. , j. , j. , j. , OTGAssist, c. , , j. , j. , j. , j. , x3 (Ground Tenderizer) xx + (Death Penalty) *NOTE: Must be canceled before the 10th hit, as it ground bounces and causes the opponent to roll away*
Elastic Slam Mixups and Strategies
Skrull has some nasty mixup potential with his long-ranged command grab: Elastic Slam. Whether you wave-dash and through it blindly, as an anti-air, or after a block-string, it is definitely a move to be feared, as it can lead it to some damaging combos.
This move allows for some decent resets if your opponent doesn't know it's coming.
- Basic Hit Confirm Reset - c. , , (Ground Bounce), x3 (Ground Anti-Air Tenderizer) (let opponent air-reset) + (Anti-Air Elastic Slam)
- Basic Ground-to-Air Combo Reset #1 - c. , c. , c. , , j. , j. , j. , j. , (dash) x3 (Ground Tenderizer), , (don't cancel immediately), + (Elastic Slam) OR + (Elastic Slam) CORNER ONLY
- Basic Ground-to-Air Combo Reset #2 (corner only) - c. , c. , c. , , j. , j. , j. , j. , x3 (Ground Tenderizer) (move like, a pixel forward), c. , (don't cancel immediately, let opponent air-reset), + (Anti-Air Elastic Slam)
- Double Ground-Bounce Reset (corner only) - j. + (Skrull Smash)( #1 ), , , j. , j. , j. , j. , x3 (Ground Tenderizer)( #2 ), + (Elastic Slam)
- *credit to aer0blue
- Some air tick-throw/Elastic Slam setups after landing Inferno in the corner. Very handy if your opponent catches on to some of the other setups.
Tick-Throw and Advancing Guard Setups
- Simple ABC Tick-Throw Setup - c. , c. , c. , (don't cancel immediately), + (Elastic Slam)
- Rapid Chain Tick-Throw Setup - c. x2 xx + (Elastic Slam)
- Once your opponent catches on, punish them accordingly. If they:
- Jump, which you can throw out an anti-air Elastic Slam if you see it coming.
- Advance Guard - If your opponent likes to Advance Guard often, wave-dash in and do a simple c. rapid chain. If they Advance Guard one of the jabs, cancel the next jab with + (Elastic Slam). Keep in mind that this will not always work on all characters (Chris comes to mind, and he is a pretty average-sized character). Throw in a kara-Elastic Slam (explained below) to catch your opponent off guard. This works pretty well in the corner, as the Advance Guard doesn't push back as far. Once you condition your opponent not to Advance Guard anymore, feel free to work Skrull's tick-throw setups.
- Executed by inputting , then canceling the animation halfway with + (Elastic Slam). If done correctly, you'll gain some sick range, almost full screen(!) with this move.