As a 2-D fighting game, Skullgirls characters interact with each other based on a system of overlapping hit boxes in the game's engine. The hit boxes appear and disappear with set timings measurable by Frames. Attack boxes appear during the active portions of an attack, and will hit if they overlap with any of an opponent's vulnerable hurt boxes. Hit boxes are invisible during normal gameplay but can be seen through an option in the Training Room.
|The startup, active, and recovery frames for Filia's c.MP. Hurt boxes and Filia's physical extent appear in all frames. Attack boxes appear only in the active frames.|
Hurt boxes represent the vulnerable body of the character. Hair, weapons, and other inactive extremities do not have hurt boxes. Hands, feet, and limbs usually have vulnerable hurt boxes even when not attacking.
Attack boxes appear during the active frames of attacks, representing the hand, foot, limb, or weapon the character uses in the attack. Attack boxes often overlap with the characters vulnerable hurt boxes.
The collision box represents the center of the character on screen. Characters cannot overlap collision boxes and will attempt to push each other out of the way when they collide. The attack boxes from a throw must overlap with a collision box, not an ordinary hurt box, to connect.
Hitbox Color Reference
- Red: Active attack box
- Green: Hurt box
- White: Fully invulnerable hurt box
- Light Blue: Strike invulnerable hurt box OR high blocking hurt box
- Yellow: Throw invulnerable hurt box OR hitstun hurtbox
- Orange: Projectile invulnerable hurt box
- Dark Blue: Low blocking hurt box
- Purple: Air blocking hurt box. Used during unblockable protection and absolute guard to indicate blocking both ways
- Blue: Collision box
- Diamond: Reference point
Training Room Hitbox Display
Turning on simple hit box display from the Practice Room pause menu shows hit boxes over all characters on screen. Red and orange attack boxes only appear during the active frames of attacks. Hurt boxes always cover the character and represent their vulnerable or invulnerable outline. Hurt boxes shift colors as characters move, attack, and defend. Attack boxes and hurt boxes overlap when an attack successfully hits or gets blocked by the defending character. Many boxes do not match the exact outline of a character as drawn. Weapons, hair, and other extremities may not have hit boxes at all.
Advanced hit box display shows additional information with hit boxes. Additional hurt box colors show invulnerability to different types of attack. The physical extent box, appearing over a character's center of mass on screen, shows the areas of characters which cannot overlap and will push other characters away. The character's object point appears at the character's feet indicating the character's reference point in the game engine.
Note: these pictures are from an older version where hitboxes are orange
- Filia's standing hurt box. Her hair does not have any boxes when not attacking.
- Painwheel's standing block hurt box. Her spine has a hurt box and the blades do not.
- Ms. Fortune's crouching hurt box. Her head has it's own hurt box, and the body's boxes do not get any smaller when headless.
- Painwheel's crouching block hurt box. Her blades do not have a hurt box.
- Ms. Fortune's jumping block hurt box. In the air, Ms. Fortune is small compared to other characters.
- Cerebella's jumping hurt box. Vice-Versa's arms only have boxes while attacking.
- Parasoul's hurt boxes and attack boxes during s.MP. Kreig does not have a hurt box.
- Valentine's hurt boxes while in hit stun.
- Parasoul's hurt boxes and attack boxes during ← + HK. A large area above her leg counts as an attack box.
- Filia's standing hurt boxes during block stun.
- Cerebella's hurt boxes and attack boxes during c.LK. Vice-Versa's arms only have boxes while attacking.
- Valentine's crouching hurt boxes while in block stun.
- Painwheel's hurt boxes and attack boxes during j.HP.
- Ms. Fortune's jumping hurt boxes while in block stun.
- Peacock's hurt boxes and the active projectile attack box from Peacock's s.HP.
- Filia with attack boxes and fully invulnerable hurt boxes.
- Cerebella with fully invulnerable hurt boxes.
- Peacock with a throw invulnerable hurtt box.
- Peacock with a hit invulnerable hurt box.
|Skullgirls 2nd Encore+|
|Help||FAQ • Controls • Glossary • UI/HUD • Training Room • Frame Data • Hitboxes|
|Characters||Filia • Cerebella • Peacock • Parasoul • Ms. Fortune • Painwheel • Valentine • Double • Squigly • Big Band • Eliza • Fukua • Beowulf • Robo-Fortune|
|Mechanics||Movement • Attacks • Defense • Team Mechanics • Combos / Damage • Advanced Mechanics • Esoteric • Compiled Frame Data|
|Other||Community • Match Videos • PC Launch Options • Patch History • Extra|