Katana (Sodom) is a self-proclaimed student of Japan and its culture. A former henchman of the Mad Gear Gang, Sodom aims to revive the crime ring and is consumed with revenge toward Guy.
Sodom is a character who has a pretty nice number of options from mid and close range. Using the Jigoku Scrape he can apply pressure at the middle range to get them blocking then go for big damage with his mixup game.
- Wide variety of normals with unique uses, including jitte (tsai) normals.
- Good set of supers
- Damaging mixups
- Can damage in mid-range and through grappling
- Lacks reliable anti-airs against many characters
- Struggles against fireball zoning
- CC damage is unreliable and only average damage.
- This is a decent normal, mainly because it gives frame advantage. It doesn't have too many hit frames but, even if you mess the meaty up, you still have enough frame advantage to link cr. xx slash, meaty or not. Not special cancellable.
- Straight kick, good poke, decent range, cancellable too. Best whiff punisher, xx slash. It is also his best meaty simply because it has a lot of hit frames, and if you mess up, you are safe. If hit super meaty, you can link a cr. into combo finisher of choice. I would do +, cause if you mess up you are safe. Other than that cr. xx + is your best bet.
- cr.- A wierd attack. I've had alot of luck using this as a far-distance AA vs a few characters. Not guaranteed by any means. You will use this move very rarely. (note: the image is the move in Street fighter Alpha 3. Due to how Alpha 3 is, it wouldn't surprise me if the hitbox is actually -better- in Alpha 2. Take this screenshot with a grain of salt.)
- cr.- Slow, can't cancel. Decent meaty because it hits low, but all you can get off is cr. xx slash. The link is relatively difficult.
- cr.- Used wrong, this move will get you killed. Straight up free CC, sweep, etc. if not used right. This move is safe when use as anti-air, though a lot of times it gets blocked, but you are safe. Goes under fireballs, which is its best use. Use with caution, is a good move though.
- nj. - Seems to have a good disjointed hitbox on the blade, but there doesn't seem to be a good use for the move.
- nj. - Slashes downward with both weapons, big wall of a hitbox. I love this move, good air-to-air. Best Neutral jump combo starter.
- nj. - Dropkick . Good air-to-air and god priority, overall a good move. If you use it to punish a fireball, you might get hit in the head by the fireball.
- dj.- Hitbox is nowhere near as good as the neutral jump version, no real use since and have much better hitboxes on them, while and do better damage. Best to avoid.
- dj.- Looks similar to J , but with more damage. The hitbox extends further in front of him compared with j., so it's a better jump-in if you know you won't crossup.
- dj.- Dropkick . Good air-to-air and god priority, overall a good move. If you use it to punish a fireball, you might get hit in the head by the fireball.
/+ - He tosses you low. You can juggle with any level super, but stick to level 1. You miss a lot of hits at higher levels and it's a waste of meter. Good to kill off a mofo. Level 1 juggle for two hits, all on some (Bison)
Combos from or cr.. Completely safe. Hell, do point blank and block, they can't CC you. When distanced right, you can sweep. If they fireball, do it again, jump up, etc., play with their head. I've done this move like 5 times in a row because I had people scared to hit me. Once they get hesitant, you can even go for a grab super (if in range), which is only escape-able by DP/CC since this game allows you to grab jumps.
+ - Use when you believe someone will jump. It's risky though, because most characters can crouch this shit. It should be safe if blocked. Characters who can't duck this have a very hard time (Gief, Sagat) because it will catch their jump. Used right you can lock them down. Use this instead of slash if they can't duck it. NOTE: If done too close it can be punished by CC, but it is safe 99% of the time.
+ - This move is good in far combos because it knocks down. Always follow up with sweep, in case they safe roll. Beware: if blocked, free CC or combo. The move is safe if you only hit with the 2nd hit, but if the opponent blocks both hits the move is punishable.
+ - "Scrape" This is what you want to combo into, because it hurts. A lot. Crazy priority, will grab any limb, even Sim's from fullscreen. Combos only off a cr. midscreen, in the corner will work. This is his CC ender. If blocked, you are in trouble.
+ - Combos at all levels from any cancellable normal. Not the greatest super but I do combo off of a crossup cr. xx + because it gets all hits. Safe if blocked, but comboed from a distance isn't too wise cause the last hit usually misses. During the Lvl 3 version, Sodom does a jumping stab at the end, which can be ducked then punished. Level 3 is typically a poor use of meter.
+ - His grab super. Best bet is j. then super, or then super, but it's escapable by CC/DP. This connects from max range or slash. Vs gief you can start the match with it. Not consistent though, sometimes they can just jump. Wierd.
Sodoms LP Jigoku Scrape is unpunishable from max range, so you can use it as a safe poke from that distance to cover the ground and air. Your opponent is well outside of their attack range from this distance so this will make it very hard to get in. When you perform a max range LP Scrape, you can follow up with another LP Scrape, or a MP Scrape an early jump attempt or hesitate before throwing the 2nd LP Scrape. This allows you to bait reversal attempts and Alpha Counters once your opponent gets used to the timing.
Another solid option is his cr.HK slide, which has amazing range. Its useful for whiff punishing at mid range or catching opponents walking backwards. The catch is, you must do this move from max range as well to prevent punishment on block.
Once you land cr.HK or any Jigoku Scrape lands on an airborne opponent, follow them with a HP Scrape. This will move Sodom into attack range while covering the possibility of a recovery roll from the opponent. Be aware that you will barely recover before they stand so it will be hard to perform some of his slower attack options on your opponents wakeup ( eg. cl st.MP).
Sodom's Butsumetsu Buster has absolutely massive range, enabling you to grab your opponent from unexpected distances. Also, the slow start up time enables it to be cancelled into from light or medium attacks, in which case it grabs your opponent just as they recover from blockstun. This makes it fairly easy to setup tick Butsumetsus without having to agonize over timing too much.
When the opponent is hesitant to recovery roll after cr.HK (because of the possiblity of the HP Scrape follow-up), go for the cross-up j.LK. Perform the j.LK at different points during the jump-in to dictate whether it hits the enemy from the front or back ( before you pass over the enemies head to hit from the front, or after you pass for behind). If the cross-up hits, link cl st.LK xx HP Jigoku Scrape.
Close st.MP is a strong attack opening if you have enough time to do it against a standing enemy. If it hits it's possible to link cr.LK xx HP Jigoku Scrape afterwards. If it doesn't hit use the frame advantage to follow up.
One of Sodom's biggest weaknesses is his lack of a consistent anti-air. Most times you can rely on cr.HP but its slow and unreliable against good jump in attacks. when you are having difficulty dealling with certain jump attacks the only other options are to CC or use his P Alpha Counter.
s.mk is his best simply because it has alot of hit frames, and if you mess up, you are safe. If hit super meaty, you can link a c.fp into combo finisher of choice, I would do qcf+lp, cause if you mess up you are safe. Other than that c.lk xx qcf+hp is your best bet.
c.mk is a decent meaty cause it hits low, but all you can get off is c.lk xx hp slash, but the link is so so, have to be sorta precise.
s.mp doesnt have too many hit frames, but if you mess the meaty up, you still have enough frame advantage to link c.lk xx hp slash, meaty or not.
meaty qcf+p, cc setup, safe if blocked or hit, cant combo after, but beats wake up cc blowout attemps.
s.hk is a meaty but you get pushed to far away to link anything, if you even could. But it is a meaty.
360 powerbomb set ups
- Meaty s.MK, c.LK xx 360+LP
- s.LK, s.MK xx 360+LP (gotta CC/DP)
- walking s.LKs, cancel into 360+LP
- jump up, j.HP xx 360+LP
- Any tick into 360, qcf+HP to get close, grab on wake-up with 360+LP
- Any tick into 360, qcf+HP to get close, s.MK xx qcf+LP
You can mix it up however you want, just make sure they don't see the grab coming. Also if meaty s.MK hits, link cr.LK xx qcf+HP.
This is his best move, with good priority. The move sets up his ac and supers perfectly. There are alot of things he can do after this is hit or blocked.
1. Wait to see it they jump, then mp scrape AA
2. Slide if expecting a firebal
3. 720 grab super, make sure they have no meter cause this can be ccd
4. Scrape super to punish jumpers for 2-3 hits juggle, and safe on block
5. another lp scrape
6. jump in fp
7. Block then Alpha couter anything they do
-Knock'em down, keep'em down-
Thats the rule of thumb, Sodom has a hard time getting to people, so when you got them down keep'em there. Sodom is good vs a cornered opponent. Several thing you can do after a knockdown:
-Meaty into 360 tick (stated above in 360 section)
-Jump up, do nothing, throw
-Go for a meaty combo ex. s.mk, c.lk xx hp slash
-Jump up come down with fp, tick into super/360
-Jump up, come down with hp, 360+lp
-Walking lks into hp throw
-Meaty s.mk, s.mk xx 360+lp
-Walking lks, s.mk xx 360+lp
-meaty s.mk, walk up throw
-block if you think they will cc
You will stay in the corner after a 360 ticks, then mix up again with the above options.
-walking lks, s.mk xx qcf+lp which leads toooooooo:
1. Another qcf+lp
2. If you have opponent hesitant to attack 360/720 (if in distance)
3. qcf+mp if you think they will jump, (knocks down, refer to knockdowns)
4. jump in fp
5. Super if the chip/trade will kill them
6. c.rh if in c.rh sweet spot
7. do nothing to bait cc, AC
Unfortunately, his good cc is if they are standing, so blow out ccs are great. Crouching opponents suck. gotta be precise.
Lvl 1 c.mk xx qcf++mp x2, c.hp xx 360+hk
This cc does about 45%, which is awesome for a lvl one. Higher lvls just add more qcf+mps, end with c.hp xx 360+hk for max damage. I think lvl 3 you can get 7 slashes.
c.mk, qcf+lp, qcf+lp, 360+hk
Actually i been messing around a bit and for most cases you can just qcf+lp, end with 360+hk. No c.hp though, you will be too far. You CAN combo into his 360+p grab, but it does less than the combos above.
.....but at higher levels (depending on distance) you get pushed away, so you have to trip and juggle with hp slash, which sucks, or you can mash random shit, then 360+hk to end. I usually have them standing, so idk lol.
- AA CC
activate, c.hp, then start juggling with qcf+mp or hp.
Ive had limited success with s.lp into mp scrapes
I'll add more as time goes on, this is just basic shit.
- Taunt CC
End any CC with qcf+hp, and then hit taunt.
Ex. lvl 1 activate c.mk xxqcf+hp xx taunt
Sodom: any lvl standing or on anyone who cant duck mp scrape: c.mk xx mp scrape xN, c.fp xx 360+hk
On anyone who can duck it use lp scrape but dont use c.fp, go straight into 360+hk
Taunt/Select button- Sodom's taunt. Has a hitbox, and is possible to kill with in a CC.
vs. Adon- This match up is mainly footsie and normals. Adon has no safe moves unless perfectly distanced and/or when Sodom has no meter. Any jaguar kick should be punished with custom combo or c.lk xx hp scrape. Any jaguar tooth just jump up and come down with a jump attack, if you have meter it is a free custom from anywhere on the screen. If a Jaguar Tooth does manage to slip by and force you to block you can simply alpha counter. Punish Rising Jaguar as you would any reversal type dp.
vs. Dhalsim- Pretty tough match up if Sim is good. Good thing in this match up is fp scrape and 360+lk score knockdownson his limbs. 360+lk is to be used from full screen when Sim can only slightly punish. Use to grab a limb from fullscreen and score a knockdown, but only as a last resort (the sim is really keeping you out and you desperately need in).
vs. M. Bison (dictator)-
vs. Sodom- (self)
vs. Zangief- Heavily in Sodom's favor due to the insane range of s.fp and mp scrape. This is the most difficult match up for Zangief and easiest for Sodom when played right. Abuse mp scrape and s.fp. Mp scrape and s.fp beat anything Zangief does except df+rh and df+mk. S.fp will lose to PPP, but mp scrape beats PPP and KKK. If Zangief is spamming df+hk you can get free jump ins. You should save all meter for alpha counters only, when Zangief does get in simply alpha counter (which is mp scrape) and you are back to zoning. If you get knocked down or grabbed with no meter Gief can win the match fairly quick, so don't let Gief get in.
|Adon - Akuma - Birdie - Charlie - Chun-Li - Dan - Dhalsim - Evil Ryu - Gen - Guy - Ken - M.Bison - Rolento - Rose - Ryu - Sagat - Sakura - Sodom - Zangief|