Street Fighter X Tekken/Hwoarang
From Shoryuken Wiki, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Strategy and More!
In a nutshell
- Standing LP
- Has slow startup and fast recovery, making it useful as a meaty attack. It also hits low, so it can be used for mix-ups.
- Standing MP
- Very strong ground poke. It also works as an anti-air.
- Standing HP
- Has about the same range as standing MP. It is mainly useful in cross rush combos.
- Standing LK
- Mainly useful for pressure. It does not hit low and starts up slightly slower than crouching LK, but it stuffs low crush moves such as launcher. It also starts his Low & High Smash Kick Combo (st.LK > MK).
- Standing MK
- Frequently used in boost combos and for starting some very useful strings.
- Standing HK
- Useful for certain juggles and as a starter for basic punish combos.
- Crouching LP
- Good attack to use for close range footsies and can be confirmed into combos or pressure.
- Crouching MP
- Mainly useful in combos. It can be used as a poke, but cr.LP is generally preferred.
- Crouching HP
- Can be used in cross rush combos from Flamingo MP.
- Crouching LK
- Hwoarang's fastest attack outside of Flamingo stance. Unfortunately, it is difficult to use defensively because he has a db+LK command normal, but it is useful in frame traps.
- Crouching MK
- Situational anti-air. It is special-cancelable, so it can be followed up with Special Step for mix-up/pressure.
- Crouching HK
- Nice long-reaching sweep to use occasionally as a poke. It can be canceled into specials such as LK Hunting Hawk to make it safer on block.
- Flamingo LP
- Hwoarang's only 3f normal. It can be used to make frame traps tighter, but unlike his other light attacks, it does not lead to safe chains on block.
- Flamingo MP
- Two-hit attack that does twice the damage of a normal medium attack. Using this in combos generally always increases damage.
- Flamingo HP
- Can be used to anti-air, but its main use is in combos.
- Flamingo LK
- The animation is the same as standing LK, but the move properties are altered. FLA LK has shorter range than st.LK, but it starts up in only 4f and hits low.
- Flamingo MK
- Can be used as a poke and combo starter.
- Flamingo HK
- Has good range, but it whiffs crouchers and has long startup and recovery. Its main use is in combos.
- Jumping LP
- Hwoarang's go-to air-to-air attack. It also starts his Flashing Trident (j.LP > MP) string.
- Jumping MP
- Good cross-up attack.
- Jumping HP
- Jumping LK
- Jumping MK
- Jumping HK
- Spinning Trip Kick (db+LK)
- Because of the input, this move tends to get in the way more often than it's useful. Its main use is as a feint to catch opponents who are looking to block Hwoarang's overheads.
- Tsunami Kick (f+MK)
- This is one of the best overhead attacks in the game overall. The startup is 19f with the beginning of the animation being somewhat subtle, making it difficult to react to consistently. On hit, it can be followed up with a combo. On block, it is very safe at +2 advantage. The hitstun/blockstun of the attack is quite long, so it is practical to hit-confirm the attack to decide how to follow up.
- Flamingo Stance (f+MK > f)
- Unlike Hwoarang's other Flamingo transitions, this does not cause him to recover faster. However, he still has frame advantage on block, making this a useful option for pressure. FLA LP and LK make good frame traps here.
- Iron Heel (f+HK)
- This overhead is somewhat slow, and it leaves Hwoarang at a disadvantage if blocked. However, it can be useful because it has good range and can easily be followed up at any range. The startup also looks very similar to the low-hitting Spinning Trip Kick (db+LK).
- Fade-Away Kick (b+MK)
- This attack crushes crouching attacks during its startup. Its recovery is somewhat slow, but it is fairly safe because of its backward movement. It can also be canceled into special moves such as Special Step (dp+P).
- Reverse Kick (st.MP > MP)
- This string can be started from a boost combo and can be followed with a boost combo.
- Flamingo Stance (st.MP > MP > f)
- Recovers 8f faster than normal (+2 on block, +7 on hit), but it has too much pushback to be used for pressure or combos.
- You can input st.MP > st.HP~MP > df at mid-range to option-select this string on whiff while also buffering a st.MP-st.HP boost combo.
- This is a relatively good way of building meter on whiff, building about 2.5% of a bar (10 meter) in 30 frames.
- Chainsaw Kick (st.MP > LP)
- This string has some use for specific combos and setups. It can be difficult to make use of because of its short range.
- Flashing Trident (j.LP > MP)
- Both hits of this string must be blocked high. This allows Hwoarang to mix it up with things such as empty jump low/throw, making it difficult to defend against consistently. This string also works on whiff, so an opponent cannot crouch under it to avoid it.
- st.MK > MK
- This string can be started from a boost combo and can be followed with a boost combo.
- Flamingo Stance (st.MK > MK > f)
- Recovers 8f faster than normal.
- On block, this ends at +1 advantage and can be followed with FLA LK for pressure.
- On hit, this can link into FLA LK or MP for a combo.
- Can be used in certain juggle combos to connect cr.MP or st.HK afterwards.
- Middle Kick Combo (st.MK > MK > MK)
- This string can be followed with a boost combo.
- Flamingo Stance (st.MK > MK > MK > f)
- Recovers 6f faster than normal.
- This can be used to make the Middle Kick Combo safe on block. Generally, it is preferable to hit-confirm with High Kick Combo (st.MK > MK > HK) and end the string with Dynamite Heel (hcb+LP) for frame advantage.
- High Kick Combo (st.MK > MK > HK)
- This string is very useful for easy hit-confirms because it can be started from a boost combo and is special-cancelable.
- Flamingo Stance (st.MK > MK > HK > f)
- This does not give Hwoarang good frame advantage on block, nor does it lead to any combos on hit. Generally, it is preferable to end the string with Dynamite Heel (hcb+P).
- Low Kick Combo (st.MK > MK > d+LK)
- Low & High Kick Combo (st.MK > MK > d+LK > HK)
- Identical to the last hit of High Kick Combo (st.MK > MK > HK)
- Flamingo Stance (st.MK > MK > d+LK > HK > f)
- Low & High Kick Combo (st.MK > MK > d+LK > HK)
- Low & High Smash Kick Combo (st.LK > MK)
- This string can be canceled into specials, but it is generally preferable to transition to Flamingo stance.
- Flamingo Stance (st.LK > MK > f)
- Recovers 8f faster than normal.
- On block, this ends at +2 advantage. This makes it useful for creating frame traps.
- On hit, this ends at +7 advantage. If the string was started close enough, this can be linked into Fire Storm (FLA MK > LK).
- Quick Kick Combo (FLA MP > MP)
- This string has short range but leads to good damage, making it mostly useful for combos.
- Flamingo Stance (FLA MP > MP > f)
- Recovers 5f faster than normal.
- Flamingo Kick Combo (FLA LK > MK)
- Animation is the same as Low & High Smash Kick Combo (st.LK > MK)
- This string can be followed with a launcher.
- This string is relatively difficult to hit-confirm, but it can be canceled into Special Step/Dynamite Heel to make it safe and keep pressuring the opponent while having the threat of Hwoarang's 3f FLA LP available.
- Flamingo Stance (FLA LK > MK > f)
- Recovers 4f faster than normal (+1 on block, +2 on hit).
- Fire Storm (FLA MK > LK)
- This string can be followed with boost combos and counts as a medium attack.
- This string is delayable, making it possible to hit-confirm the first hit.
- This string whiffs most characters crouching, but it has good forward movement, is very safe on block, and can be canceled into specials.
- Flamingo Stance (FLA MK > LK > f)
- Recovers 4f faster than normal.
- On block, this ends at +4 advantage. This is good for starting pressure or mix-ups.
- On hit, this ends at +6 advantage. It is possible to link FLA LK or st.LK afterwards.
- On whiff, this causes the string to recover fairly quickly, making it possible to catch opponents off-guard with a quick light attack or throw. This is somewhat of a gimmick, so try not to rely on it often.
- Motion Switch (KKK)
- This causes Hwoarang to enter or exit his Flamingo Stance. It starts up in only 1f, making additional normal moves instantly accessible.
- Hwoarang's walk speed becomes very slow during this stance, so it should be canceled when not attacking. The Motion Switch command can be used to cancel the stance, but it causes a recovery animation. Because of this, it is better to cancel the stance by tapping down (crouching).
- Falcon Dice Kick (LP+LK)
- The knockdown time of this throw is very short, limiting Hwoarang's options afterwards.
- Bring It On (b+LP+LK)
- Special Step (dp+P)
- This move has upper-body projectile invincibility and can be canceled into other specials. It is useful for getting past projectiles as well as moving forward during blockstrings.
- This version has full upper-body invincibility. However, because of the recovery, it is hard to make use of without a good read.
- Sky Rocket (dp+K)
- These versions have invincibility on startup, making them useful as anti-airs or reversals.
- This version has the most range. It can be used to punish an opponent jumping out of the range of the lighter versions.
- This version starts up slightly slower, but it has more invincibility and damage.
- Hunting Hawk (qcb+K)
- This move hops off the ground and has a small amount of lower body projectile invincibility.
- This move can be used at neutral to hop over fireballs as well as low attacks. It is -4 at worst on block, making it fairly safe.
- This version is average in terms of startup, recovery, and damage.
- This is the slowest and most unsafe version, but it is very good if switch-canceled on block. The 3rd hit is an overhead and causes a ground bounce (techable by grounded opponents). Hwoarang cannot follow it up by himself if it was comboed into, but the long knockdown time is useful.
- Causes a wall bounce. This is useful for high damage combos.
- Air Raid (hcf+K)
- This attack has slow startup, but it has high frame advantage (+6) on block. It travels different distances depending on the version.
- This move can be useful to escape from the corner against an unsuspecting opponent.
- Air Raid Special (air hcf+K)
- This version has invincibility at the beginning of its startup, so it can be used to bait anti-airs.
- Dynamite Heel (hcb+P)
- This move is very useful in blockstrings as it is +1 on block and hit. This makes many of Hwoarang's blockstrings safe and can allow him to continue pressure. It is also safe to switch-cancel on block. Heavier versions start up slower but move forward more.
- This hits overhead and can sometimes cross up. On hit, it causes a ground bounce that can be comboed from. However, it is very unsafe on block, making its usefulness questionable.
- Heel Explosion Combo (hcb+PPP)
- This is generally not a useful move. However, if an opponent does an unsafe switch cancel, allowing you to catch two characters in a combo together, it is good to combo into this. This is because of a glitch where hitting two characters with this super art causes one of the characters to be randomly chosen to enter the cinematic, while the other character gets stuck in an extended hitstun state. If the cinematic occurs with the inactive character, this lets you follow up with any combo on the opposing active character.
Traditional crouch tech (db+LP+LK) doesn't work well with Hwoarang because he has a db+LK command normal which is very slow and easily frame-trapped. You can avoid this by inputting db+LP+KKK, which will cause Hwoarang to enter Flamingo stance and immediately cancel it. (Hwoarang's default LP+HK quick combo does not activate because it cannot be used while crouching.) He is vulnerable for the 1f of startup but can block again immediately afterwards. This technique, nicknamed the "Teabag OS", makes it nearly impossible to punish Hwoarang for teching. Be careful not to input KKK~LP, as this is read as 2 Motion Switch inputs and has a vulnerable recovery animation.
- For basic pressure, use a light attack chained into st.MK > MK > HK. If it hits, cancel into HK or EX Hunting Hawk (qcb+K). On block, cancel to Special Step (dp+HP) quickly canceled into Dynamite Heel (hcb+LP) to move forward and end at +1 advantage.
- st.MK > MK can also be confirmed into useful combos by using the FLA transition (see Combos).
- st.MK > MK > HK has 21 blockstun. If you cancel it into a Dynamite Heel super charge dash cancel, Hwoarang recovers at -1. Although this is technically frame disadvantage, the opponent has to predict it to punish Hwoarang attempting to re-pressure with it. If you condition your opponent to press buttons in this gap, you can use a delayed Dynamite Heel to counterhit them into a damaging combo.
- On block, st.MK > MK can transition into FLA (f) for +1 advantage. Frame trap with FLA LK > MK xx hcb+P to end at +1 advantage in FLA stance. (This sequence also works on hit, for 227 damage.) This makes FLA LP, a 3f normal, available for frame traps. FLA LP is 0 on block and has no safe chains out of it. FLA LK > MK > etc. pressure can be looped just like cr.LK-st.MK > etc. pressure.
- FLA LK > MK has 21 blockstun, so it can be used for pressure tactics similar to those described for st.MK > MK > HK.
- st.LK > MK > 6 is +2 on block, allowing for frame traps afterwards. Being a shorter string also gives the opponent fewer opportunities to guard cancel.
- From point-blank, this can combo into FLA MK > LK, which is special-cancelable and +6 with the FLA transition.
- f+MK doubles as a mix-up and pressure tool. If it hits, it can be linked into cr.LK for a combo. If it is blocked, it has +2 advantage, allowing you to follow up with a variety of frame traps.
Every time you initiate one of Hwoarang's safe blockstrings, you can use an OS to punish most characters' backdashes with cr.HK.
How to use the OS
- + or + or + or +
- If st.LK was used in step 1, this must be inputted almost immediately afterwards. This is to make the game only register the input for a boost combo into st.MK and not Hwoarang's st.LK > MK string, which can come out on whiff.
- + + when the whiffed light attack would recover, which is just before the st.MK would hit.
If this OS is used starting at +1 frame advantage:
- Does not work on: Kazuya, Ogre, Steve
- 1f timing on: Cammy, Chun-Li, Poison, Vega
- 2f timing on: Zangief, King
- Corner only: Chun-Li, Dhalsim, Ibuki, Nina, Xiaoyu, Asuka, Hwoarang, Law, Julia, Marduk
After HK Hunting Hawk (qcb+HK) in the corner: Jump forward into the corner, and upon landing, immediately jump again and input Air Raid Special (hcf+K) to dive back to the ground. You can mix up the direction of the second jump and the version of Air Raid Special to control which side Hwoarang lands on. (On average-sized characters, Hwoarang can still cross up if his second jump is towards the corner. However, on larger characters, he cannot.) The only way for the opponent to avoid this mix-up is by rolling into the corner, forcing Hwoarang outside of the corner. In any case, you will always be right in front of the opponent with enough frame advantage to pressure as usual.
After HK Hunting Hawk (qcb+HK) mid-screen: Jump forward, buffering st.MK as you land. As the st.MK recovers, input a dash forward, then immediately hold back and either input b+HK or a delayed df+LK > hcf+LP. If the opponent doesn't roll, Hwoarang will simply dash forward. If the opponent does roll, either an overhead (f+HK) or a low (db+LK) will come out, depending on what was inputted. f+HK doesn't quite hit as a meaty attack, so it is vulnerable to being stuffed. However, it catches reversal backdashes. db+LK cannot be stuffed but can be escaped with a reversal backdash.
Air Reset Glitch
There is a glitch where hitting with Hwoarang's st.MK > MK string when the opponent is in a ground bounce state causes an air reset. (See Advanced Combos for setups.) This is easy for Hwoarang to utilize because after hitting with his two main ground bounce moves (f+HK, st.MP > LP), executing the string immediately causes the first hit to whiff and the second hit to connect, causing the reset. At the end of the combo, hold any forward direction to use the Flamingo transition to recover as fast as possible. Holding up-forward allows a cross-up with j.MP, but beware of anti-airs because it is not a safe jump. Holding down-forward cancels the stance, allowing you to do any meaty attack, such as st.LP, db+LK, f+MK, or f+HK.
Normally, during a switch-cancel, the incoming character runs in until reaching the opponent character. This run-in can be canceled by inputting a move, but it is not cancelable into jumping or blocking. With Hwoarang, you can get around this limitation by using the Motion Switch command (KKK) to enter Flamingo stance and gain full control of Hwoarang. uf+KKK causes him to jump, and db+KKK causes him to crouch-block.
Note: cr.LK is used as an example starter for confirms, but other light attacks work as well.
Bread and Butters
- (air-to-air counterhit), cr.MP xx qcb+HK
- (tag in), st.HK xx qcb+HK
Hit Confirm Combos
- cr.LK-st.MK > MK > HK xx qcb+HK (252)
- cr.LK-st.MK > MK > MK-st.HP-HP+HK (218) - hits can be omitted depending on damage output of incoming character
- cr.LK-st.MK > MK > HK xx qcb+KK, j.HK, cr.MP xx qcb+HK (377; 1 bar)
- f+MK, cr.LK-st.MK > MK > HK xx qcb+HK (277)
- f+MK, cr.LK-st.MP > MP xx qcb+KK, j.HK, cr.MP xx qcb+HK (388; 1 bar)
- cr.LK-st.MK > MK > f, FLA MP-HK-HP+HK (267) - HK can be omitted
- cr.LK-st.MK > MK > df, cr.LP-st.MP > LP, st.MK (whiff) > MK > f (215, reset)
- cr.LK-st.MK > MK > f, FLA MP-HK xx qcb+KK, j.HK, cr.MP xx qcb+HK (410; 1 bar)
- st.LK > MK > f, FLA MK > LK > df, cr.LP-st.MK > MK > HK xx qcb+HK (308)
- f+HK, st.MK (whiff) > MK > f (130, reset)
- FLA MK > LK > f, FLA MP > MP > f, FLA HK xx qcb+HK (390)
- FLA MP-HK xx qcb+KK, j.HK, cr.MP xx qcb+HK (492; 1 bar)
- FLA MK > LK > df, cr.LP-st.MP > LP, st.MK (whiff) > MK > f (243, reset)
- (tag in), st.MK > MK > df, st.HK xx qcb+HK
- (tag in), st.MP > MP xx hcb+[P] > dash, cr.MP xx qcb+HK
- (tag in), FLA MP > MP > f, dp+HP xx dp+HK
- (tag in), FLA MK > LK > df, st.HK xx qcb+HK
Combos Into Supers