Super Smash Bros. Brawl/Tournaments/Japanese Ruleset
This is the ruleset created by SmaCom (Japanese Smash Community). This ruleset hasn't received significant changes for a long time. It has been the most used ruleset in the USA since 2012.
- 3 stocks
- 10-minute timer (Pools matches may run on an 8-minute timer)
- Best-of-3 sets (WF, LF, and GF will be best-of-5)
- Double elimination
- All items off
- Team attack on (it has yet to be determined if doubles will happen at this tournament)
- Changing controls allowed
- Pause is turned off
- No modified controllers
- No using infinites for stalling purposes
- No bugs of any kind
- No Infinite Dimensional Cape (incidental use of IDC is tolerable)
- Ledge grab limit of 50
- No scrooging (player may travel under the stage only once from the ledge)
- "Traveling under the stage once from the ledge" is defined as dropping off the ledge on one side of the stage and reaching the height of the original ledge on the other side of the stage.
- When one of the players is attacked by the other and takes damage, this rule does not apply.
- The moving platform on Smashville is considered to be equivalent to a ledge, i.e. if a player starts from the moving platform on one side of the stage and travels beneath the stage to the ledge/platform on the opposite side of the stage, the player may not travel beneath the stage back to the ledge/moving platform on the opposite side before until he lands back on the platform.
- Stage-striking order and controller ports are determined by Rock-Paper-Scissors
- Rock-Paper-Scissors loser strikes one of the three Starter stages
- Rock-Paper-Scissors winner strikes one of the remaining two Starter stages
- Players select their characters (players may elect to have a double-blind character selection)
Game 2 (and so on)
- Loser may select controller port
- Winner may ban a stage from the Counterpick list
- Loser selects one of the remaining stages
- Winner chooses character
- Loser chooses character
- Repeat steps 1-5 until the set is decided
- Final Destination
- Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
- Lylat Cruise
- Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
In the event that a match goes to time, the victor will be decided by the following steps, in order:
- Number of ledgegrabs (if one player exceeds 50 ledgegrabs, that player will be declared the loser)
- Number of remaining stocks
- Amount of damage percent
- If stocks and damage percent are identical, the match will be replayed on the same stage, with each player at one stock.