The King of Fighters XIII/Elisabeth
In a nutshell
Elisabeth "Betty" Blanctorche: noblewoman, equestrian, protagonist team leader, and dominating. Elisabeth's tools are pretty straightforward but quite effective for going on the offense, controlling the neutral game, and frustrating zoning characters. Known for her fast Grand Rafale anywhere juggle DM which can be landed 1,001 ways though the damage has been slightly toned down for the console release of XIII. In spite of her slight downtoning, she still manages to rival Shen in terms of damage and her utility is even stronger now with her new EX command dashes. Elisabeth's a mid-level execution character, though her reversals aren't very reliable and so players should be able to block with confidence and poise.
- Étincelle (qcf+P) builds up less meter.
- Added EX versions of her Rêverie-Souhaiter (qcb+BD) and Rêverie-Prier (qcf+BD). They are invincible while in movement and cancelable with a special move. The special will also automatically come out as an EX version without the cost of a meter. However, DM's are an exception and will not automatically be the EX version.
- EX Rêverie-Geler (qcb+AC) has slower recovery when successful. Because of that, normal moves can't be used to follow up. The recovery can be canceled with a special move.
- Noble Blanc (qcf qcf+P) has more invincibility.
- EX Noble Blanc's (qcf qcf+AC) hitbox has been changed so that it is easier to get more hits. With this change, it lands every hit in the corner.
- Grand Rafale's (qcf hcb+P) damage has been reduced from 200 (40+10×13+30) to 150.
- Grand Rafale (qcf hcb+P) has more Max Cancelable frames.
- Standing Light Punch () - Basic, but scoffing jab that primarily functions as a fast short hop anti-air. A successful anti-air can be followed with Grand Rafale ( + ) for solid damage.
- Standing Light Kick () - This kick has very little range but it does hit low can is cancelable unlike with her Crouching Light Kick. When up close to the opponent this could be used to start a quick combo from a low by 2-in-1 canceling into a special.
- Standing Heavy Punch () - Elisabeth moves forward as she punches forward which adds a bit of extra range to this attack, although it doesn't connect against crouching hitboxes. This attack works as a preventive hop anti-air or as a quick poke against standing players, though it can be crouched and punished. Think of this attack as a more powerful, and risky Standing Light Punch.
- Close Heavy Punch (Close ) - Meaty one-handed palm attack. This starts up fast and has a large activation range, making it more useful for comboing than Close Heavy Kick. A standard but useful Close Heavy attack that combos into Elisabeth's Un Coup du Pied ( + ).
- Standing Heavy Kick () - Elisabeth sobats forward when kicking which adds further horizontal range to this already lengthy poke. This is her longest-reaching grounded normal that's capable of zoning and even anti-airing with proper spacing. The forward reach is deceptively long, though the startup is just a bit lengthier than most other sobats in the game. Still, this is one of her best pokes and one of the better normals in the game.
- Close Heavy Kick (Close ) - High upward kick that has a solid vertical reach, though it doesn't hit directly above Elisabeth. This can also connect against grounded adversaries, although Close Heavy Punch is stronger for starting combos. Fully cancelable, like most Close normals.
- This attack's upward hitbox makes it a strong anti-air when running underneath the opponent or when trying to stop a jump-away attempt in anticipation of her command grab or if the opponent tries jumping back into the corner. If this anti-airs, then Grand Rafale ( + ) should link afterward in most situations.
- Crouching Light Punch ( + ) - Elisabeth's low jab can be chained into from her Crouching Light Kick in order to start a combo from a low hitconfirm. Crouching Light Punch can combo into her relatively safe Coup de Vent ( + ) and even Mistral ( + from close ranges. It also has better frame advantage on block than Crouching Light Kick.
- Crouching Light Kick ( + ) - Elisabeth has an uncancelable Crouching Light Kick, but she can chain this into Crouching Light Punch for combos. On its own, this attack has good range as a poke and it can be chained into itself, so it still performs all the basics in frametraps and as a tripguard anti-air; it's just not as menacing as other fully cancelable Crouching Light Kicks.
- Crouching Heavy Punch ( + ) - An upward palm uppercut that is severely lacking in horizontal reach, though its vertical strength makes it a viable anti-air. Anti-airs best when deep or close to the opposing player, so that the attack isn't stuffed by an active hitbox. As with nearly every anti-air, players can link her anywhere juggle afterward.
- Crouching Heavy Kick ( + ) - Elisabeth's sweep only reaches has far as her Crouching Light Kick, though it causes a soft knockdown and is cancelable on whiff and hit. As her Crouching Light Kick requires in itself doesn't translate into decent damage from maximum spacing, her sweep can be a better tripguard anti-air against further out jump-ins. Note that her recovery is terrible on whiff, plus she slides forward slightly while recovering.
- Blowback Attack ( + ) - Has a buff, horizontal hitbox. This can anti-air with proper timing and spacing and be used in blockstrings or as a long grounded poke.
- Cancels on hit or whiff into specials.
- Jumping Light Punch (Air ) - Fast horizontal jab with a highst hitbox of all her jumping attacks, making this a good air-to-air.
- Jumping Light Kick (Air ) - Flying knee that works best as a close-range air-to-ground. Elisabeth's vulnerable hitbox isn't as outstretched as with Jumping Heavy Kick so at times this attack can be safer against reversals against players execting her heavier kick. A good alternative to Jumping Heavy Kick that can also cross up.
- Jumping Heavy Punch (Air ) - Fast and lacking in active frames. Difficult to time as a jump-in though Jumping Light/Heavy Kick function more competently. Somewhat applicable as an air-to-air against very close, lower opponents that can't be hit by Jumping Light Punch.
- Jumping Heavy Kick (Air ) - Elisabeth's best jump-in that should look familiar to any 'Shoto' player. Jumping Heavy Kick's vertical hitbox hits deeper than her other jump-ins (aside from her Jumping Blowback Attack, which doesn't hit high) and also has the longest horizontal range. Since this is her main overhead threat from a jump, it can be predictable at times which can lead to the opponent punishing it from below with a vertical anti-air or possibly a tripguard anti-air.
- Jumping Blowback Attack (Air + ) - Elisabeth's most downward-angled kick in the air. Strong vertical and horizontal hitbox with less vulnerabilities than Jumping Heavy Kick, although this attack can be blocked crouching. A good tool for getting in when spaced from maximum range or even when up close to hit earlier than Jumping Heavy Kick and get more frame advantage, but the lack of a high mixup with a deep vertical hitbox affects Elisabeth's overall offensive capabilities.
- Un Coup du Pied ( + ) - Elisabeth's command normal only combos from Heavy normals--namely Close Heavy Punch--and cancels into specials as per usual. If uncanceled, the recovery is fairly lengthy and Elisabeth is left at a frame disadvantage afterward, though her safety primarily depends on the distance between the two players. Canceling into Coup de Vent ( + ) is generally safe on block or hit, though the player could cancel into a faster-recovering move such as Rêverie-Souhaiter ( + ) to mix up her blockstrings or to avoid being punished on block.
- Étincelle ( + ) - Elisabeth's riding crop sparks in a glowing arc with a strong hitbox that controls much of the aerial 'hop space' in front of her. The Weak version hits once and has less juggle capabilities, but the startup and recovery is very fast. Her Strong Étincelle has more delay to the startup but stays active for a longer time and connects in juggle combos. Both versions can easily anti-air which leaves the opponent vulnerable to a followup, manage to connect even against crouching hitboxes, plus whiffing this move builds meter incredibly fast.
- Coup de Vent ( + ) - Forward-sliding uppercut that launches the opponent. Elisabeth can combo into this attack from Light and Heavy hitconfirms which inevitably leads to a finishing hitreset which can be finished with her anywhere juggle DM. On block, Elisabeth is at a disadvantage though the special has enough pushback to keep her safe from most punishes.
- The weak upper comes out faster and combos from lights, moving Elisabeth forward a good 1/3 of the screen. It also has the fastest recovery out of them all.
- Her stronger launcher moves forward even further, though it will take a heavy amount of hitstun to combo into this attack. Launches the opponent higher on hit which allows for greater combo possibilities, though the recovery is worse on block.
- The early startup frame are invulnerable, though this wears out long before the active frames come out.
- Coup de Vent ( + + ) - Fully invulnerable when sliding forward before attacking, and completely projectile invulnerable. This will additionally launch the opponent directly upward at a higher distance. Too slow to be a traditional reversal, but a powerful counter to projectiles.
- Rêverie-Prier ( + ) - Forward command dash with upper body invulnerability. This can be used to get back in on the opponent at the end of a blockstring, though Elisabeth's advantage varies depending on the amount of blockstun inflicted by whichever moves this is canceled into. Cancels into specials which can sometimes benefit specials and it certainly helps Elisabeth blockstring into her safeÉtincelle from a cl.C f+B attack string.
- Rêverie-Prier ( + ) - Fully invulnerable forward dash; anytime this is special canceled, the resulting special becomes an EX move for free. Works as a reversal or somewhat like a faster Guard Cancel Roll that could be used to punish blockstrings with an EX command grab or Étincelle to start a juggle.
- Her upper body invulnerability allows her to pass through non-grounded projectiles while moving closer to the opponent.
- Rêverie-Souhaiter ( + ) - Lower body invulnerable backward dash. An escape option against predicted low attacks, such as baiting slow sweeps and punishing the recovery with Coup de Vent for heavy damage.
- Rêverie-Souhaiter ( + ) - Fully invulnerable backwards dash that can be canceled into any special which will then in turn automatically be an EX special that costs no meter. A better reversal than the normal version or her backdash, and it can be canceled into + to really mess with the opponent's reactions due to the quick change of direction coupled with startup invuln.
- Rêverie-Geler ( + ) - An instant counter attack with a unique followup: Elisabeth teleports behind the opponent on success, which may or may not allow a combo followup depending on which move is countered. All versions of the counter are throw-vulnerable and have a punishable recovery if baited.
- + counters high-hitting attacks, though the opponent can often recover from a countered jump-in before Elisabeth can get punish. Despite that, her high counter reverses the players' positions which means a successful counter can get her out of the corner.
- + counters low and mid attacks. Since these moves recover slower, this counter can more often allow Elisabeth to recover in time to land a combo starting with Close Heavy Punch.
- Rêverie-Geler ( + + ) - Counters high/mid/low attacks. If the opponent's jump-in was countered, the opponent will be dragged to the ground so that Elisabeth can start a combo. The recovery period can be canceled into specials which allows Elisabeth to more consistently start a combo.
- Mistral ( + ) - Non-instant command grab that sends the opponent flying upward with a white light. Though the startup speed is lacking, its reach is alright. Elisabeth can't follow up the normal version with anything.
- Noble Blanc ( + ) - A stationary, multi-hitting ball of light appears from Elisabeth's hand. This has a projectile hitbox and can nullify oncoming fireballs but the recovery isn't that great and the DMs range can't punish many attacks without being in close range. The startup is fast and this can connect from Light attacks and even anti-air, but overall her Grand Rafale can be used more freely as a better combo ender and for a more damaging and versatile anti-air.
- Grand Rafale ( + ) - Elisabeth's infamous anywhere juggle. Near instant startup, heavily damaging, and easily confirmable from combos or any anti-air. Elisabeth travels forward and performs an uppercut that triggers a booming white light followed by a volley of aerial sparks.
- Connects from any hit reset, or any manner of aerial opponent. While this could anti-air in itself, confirming a grounded anti-air or jumping air-to-air is much safer as Elisabeth can be punished if this DM whiffs or blocks.
- Etoile Filant ( + + ) - When not Max Canceled into, Etoile Filant is an instant counter move that can be triggered by any high, mid, or low attacks. A successful hit or Max Cancel sends a shower of falling star-like lights about the screen.
Tips and Tricks
- To get the timing of the first dp+A right in the combo cl.C f+B dp+C, dp+A, dp+A, vj.D qcf hcb+P, it is best to whiff cancel st.B after dp+C into the first dp+A
- Due to the anywhere juggle property on here qcf hcb + P, Elisabeth can connect it after just about anything. Any air-to-air at the right range pretty much gives a guaranteed super. Normals used as anti-air cancelled or simply juggled into the same super works as well.
- cr.B cr.A dp+Ax2 vj.D
- Elisabeth's basic combo from a low attack.
- cl.C f+B xx dp+C, dp+A vj.D
- Easier heavy combo than the below version. Simple to hitconfirm cl.C f+B into a blockstring or combo.
- cl.C f+B xx dp+C, dp+A, dp+A vj.D
- The first dp+A must be timed later than usual. It usually helps to try whiffing a st.B before doing it, and then immediately input the second dp+A.
- cr.B cr.A dp+Ax2 vj.D, qcf hcb+P
- cl.C f+B xx dp+C, dp+A, vj.D, qcf hcb+P
- cl.C f+B xx dp+C, dp+A, dp+A, vj.D qcf hcb+P
- Anywhere juggle extenders of the above combos.
- (jump attack) cl.C f+B xx hcb~f+AC, qcf+C, dp+A, dp+A, nj.D (386, 38)
Does slightly less damage than comboing into super, builds more meter.
- cl.C f+B xx dp+C, dp+A, (DC) qcf+AC, qcf+K, qcf+C, dp+A, dp+A, vj.D - ( , )
- (corner only) cl.C f+B xx dp+C, qcf+C, dp+A (DC) qcf+AC, qcf+C, qcf+C, dp+A, dp+A vj.C - (537, 60)