The King of Fighters XIII/Systems/Meter Attacks: Drive Cancels
Drive Cancels (DC) serve as a way to cancel a Special Move into another Special Move to continue a combo. You can also cancel a special into its EX version, but not vice versa. To Drive Cancel, simply input the motion for the special you wish to cancel into while the currently active special is hitting (or in some cases, during the recovery time of a Special Move after it has hit). Each Drive Cancel consumes half of a player's Hyper Drive Meter, limiting most combos to two Drive Cancels outside of Hyper Drive Mode.
- Let's use Terry for a basic example. Let's say a Terry player lands the following combo:
- Crouching B > Crouching A > df+C xx Burn Knuckle (qcb+A).
- With one Drive Cancel, the player can extend the combo for more damage:
- Crouching B > Crouching A > df+C xx Burn Knuckle (qcb+A) [Drive Cancel] Crack Shoot (qcb+B), Rising Tackle (charge d,u+C).
- Not all Special Moves can be DC'd, and the timing of when to cancel can be limited to certain hits on a Special. This varies by character, so check the Character Strategy section for specifics.