Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3/Captain America
In the time of World War II scrawny illustrator Steve Rogers was given an experimental Super Soldier serum that permanently transformed him into a specimen of perfect health and peak fitness. "Cap" fought against the Nazi threat and was presumed dead following a battle with Baron Zemo, the villain who killed his young sidekick Bucky. Years later Captain was found frozen in a block of ice by the founding members of the Avengers, a team that Captain America would lead ever since. More recently Captain America has been appointed the Head of National Security for the United States and leads the super hero team known as the Secret Avengers.
In a nutshell Captain America is a straightforward character. His Shield Slash is strong for keeping away characters without strong projectiles of their own or sometimes pressuring opponents from mid range. The shield will return for a second hit while the light version can be used as an OTG. Captain can also use his Charging Star to zip through most projectiles and inflict damage. His Cartwheel moves through the opponent, causing crossups with the right assists and is invincible for the first portion of the move. He doesn't have a lot of moves or flashy combos which makes him pretty easy to pick up and play, but limits his versatility. If a high health, brute force character with a few ranged options is for you, then give Captain America a try.
Players to Watch
B3nzor, Wicked X Mage, Frusty, Condor Missile, Hi I'm Nasty,
Character Specific Information
Tips and Tricks
- Team Hyper Combos with Captain America's Hyper Charging Star in the assist position of the team (not on point) hit on the same frame that the THC activates on (close range only). This means that they cannot be blocked if the opponent is not already blocking when the Team Hyper Combo is executed. This is very powerful.
- Team Hyper Combos with Captain America's Hyper Charging Star in the point position often leave him free to move long before his teammates are finished performing their super attacks. Cartwheel behind someone and mess with their head.
- Hyper Stars & Stripes is a 0-Frame move. This means that, at point blank range, if the opponent wasn't already blocking by the time of the Hyper Flash animation, they haven't blocked the move: it starts on the same exact frame.
2) + , + , + , + , , air , air , air + (land), (launch), air , air , air , (land), + , follow up with a, or b below...
a) Corner (when Shield Slash hit 1x): (mashable) or or (level 3) + + b) Mid-screen (when Shield Slash hit 2x): + , (mashable) or or (level 3) + +
- The basic goal of Captain America is to get within range of your opponent to cross up with Backflip, while still having access to your primary crossover assist. Backflips are one of the most reliable methods Captain America has to damage an opponent, as he has no fast overhead and lacks GREAT zoning tools. The invincibility backflip should be utilized as the opponent is attempting an attack, otherwise you risk being countered yourself near the end of the backflip.
- One way to get into range for this tactic: use Charging Star L at long range to safely pass through projectiles without over committing, and H at mid-range to punish them. You can also apply advancing pressure by jumping forward and using Shield Slash L in the air.
- Captain America's shield attack can be very useful in keeping an opponent blocking since it hits on the way out and on the way back. Combing the light air Shield Slice with an assist who has a full screen beam like Dr. Doom's Plasma Bean or Hulk's Gamma Wave can be a very effective way to gain ground on the opponent. As Captain find himself approaching overhead the use of his normal attacks allow for a frame advantage even when guarded which makes the attacks safe and allows for a possible crouch mix up.
- While playing Capt keep in mind that Shield Slice combos work best from mid-screen, due to how Shield Slash behaves in the corner. Conversely this means Captain America may often want to find himself backed towards the corner in order to allow for a full screen retaliation with the Shield Slash. Capt has more life than the average character so he is able to take more chip damage from point blank opponents which often allows him to start a high damage combo with standing light or standing medium attack. Beware the opponents who can perform multiple air attacks though. If Capt finds himself backed too far into a corner with a pressuring opponent then the Backflip can be utilized to escape and start a lower damage corner combo.
- Capt should not depend on frame advantage as much with command throw opponents such as Haggar and Hulk since he will easily find himself in a reversal and receive heavy damage.