Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3/Dormammu
From Shoryuken Wiki, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Strategy and More!
A malevolent and powerful member of the Faltine, a race of energy beings. The Dread Dormammu, as his name suggests, is one of the most evil villains in the Marvel Universe. He is an ambitious tyrant, ruling over his own realm known as the Dark Dimension, who seeks to conquer all other worlds. Upon discovering Earth, he eventually came into contact with the Ancient One, but was defeated and sealed away. However, he found a second chance to conquer Earth by corrupting Baron Mordo, a disciple of the Ancient One. Mordo freed Dormammu, but both were defeated by Dr. Strange. Since then, Dormammu has been Strange's sworn enemy and has been scheming to rule the Earth. His very name strikes fear into the most powerful characters in the Marvel Universe, even the gods in Asgard, who liken him to "something worse than a demon".
In a nutshell The Dread One is back, and his abilities are stronger than ever before. Dormammu excels in keeping the opponent as far away from him as possible, and thanks to several changes, his offensive potential has been bolstered to match his defense. Perhaps the most important change provided in Ultimate is that his Dark Matter (F+H) is now cancelable, opening up a number of new possibilities, including mixup with his teleports. A once slow but space-domineering character has now gotten just a little lighter on his feet, and that alone is enough to let people know that this time, Dormammu means business and is aiming for that S-Tier spot.
Character Specific Information
- Ground based magic series changed from Light Start to Stronger.
- attacks have greater pushback.
- Ground throw changed to (universal change to all characters).
- Dark Matter can be special canceled.
- Flame Carpet disappears if Dormammu is hit.
- Flame Carpet received some minor hitbox and float changes, altering mostly how it functions as an .
- Flame Carpet can now be X-Factor Canceled.
- Dark Spells can now be charged in the air (one per jump, unless performed during flight).
- Liberation may be used in the air: Dormammu will teleport straight down, and Liberate from the ground.
- Liberation Two Red One Blue and One Red Two Blue initiate from frame 1 of Liberation, and cannot be interrupted.
- Damage increased on Liberation Two Red One Blue.
- Flight startup time reduced, allowing solo flight combos.
- Hitstun reduced for + .
- Chaotic Flame is a mashable Hyper.
Tips and Tricks
- The Liberation spells Two Red One Blue and One Red Two Blue will be guaranteed the moment you use them, even if you are hit during startup. These can often interrupt the opponent, as well as being amazing zoning / combo tools.
- Dormammu's 8-way air dash is one of his best tools overall. It can be used to escape situations, or an excellent tool for approaches. Most frequently when attacking, you'll want to use the air dash with either or .
- Learn Dormammu's ranges for each of the Dark Hole and Purification spells - these zoning tools can allow him to cover almost any point on the screen for chip damage, or controlling the opponent's options.
- Stalking Flare will always hit for the full 20 hits if uninterrupted. This also counts for blocking, so pushblocking doesn't help the opponent against its chip damage.
- Flame Carpet is a strong combo tool when used as an hit. Use in conjunction with assists to then combo into anything you want!
- Flame Carpet is now X-Factor cancelable. Use it as an , X-Factor cancel, and again, combo whatever you want.
- Since some Liberation spells are guaranteed to activate on frame 1 (immediately), and since you can "buffer" actions during Hyper flash animations, you can actually use these Liberation spells to punish or trade with opponents Hypers. If you can take the hit and the opponent can't, you can use this to punish moves as they hit you, or prevent the opponent from comboing out of his Hyper. This can also be used as a scare tactic, forcing them to use X-Factor earlier than they want to to keep their character safe!
- , super jump, air , into Flight, air , air , air + , air , air , land, Purification, into Chaotic Flame.
(Note that depending where on the screen this combo is performed will alter which Purification must be used.)