Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3/Ghost Rider
In a nutshell
Ghost Rider can be most easily compared to Dhalsim or even Omega Red from previous games, with his EXTREMELY long reaching melee attacks. One major distinction, however, is his sheer damage. While he may seem somewhat clunky or unwieldy at first, once you understand him, you will find that Ghost Rider can easily hit confirm over 500K damage from nearly full screen distance! His zoning tools, immense reach, high damage, and above average health (1 million) make for one very strong character.
Tips and Tricks
- Ghost Rider's snapback reaches nearly full screen, making it possibly the most abusable snapback in the game.
- Jumping and crouching both reach over half screen, and are high and low respectively. Keep these in mind.
- While Ghost Rider CAN confirm a lot of damage from far distances, he doesn't necessarily need to. He can spend a lot of the match content to poke and prod bits of damage out of the opponent.
- Ghost Rider's Alpha Assist, Chain of Rebuttal, is an EXTREMELY fast, far reaching Wall Bounce. While both of his other assists are strong OTG hits, the sheer speed and power of CoR assist should not be overlooked. If your team doesn't require the OTG, you will find this assist very abusable, both for zoning and for combos.
- Standing and crouching move Ghost Rider forward. Use these and cancel them on whiff (Kara Cancel) to increase the range of moves such as Penance Stare.
Strategy vs. Ghost Rider
- Ghost Rider has issues hitting the area diagonally forward and above him. Use this weakness / opening to your advantage with characters with high aerial mobility (Magneto, Storm) or dive kicks (Wolverine, Trish, Doom) to weasel into this gap.
- His speed and inability to cancel his aerial moves - and some grounded attacks - can also leave him wide open to teleports from behind, as these both avoid his attacks entirely (he has very few, if any, relevant moves that can hit behind him), so he can be punished or approached with cross-up teleports quite easily.
- Ghost Rider's favorite range is around half-screen. If you can actually get to point blank range on Ghost Rider, don't let up. He has trouble dealing with a face-to-face fight. Just be cautious of his Level 3 Hyper, as it is an invincible grab with surprising range.
- As above, Ghost Rider loves half-screen range. If you have a character with projectiles, one very solid option is to actually run away from him and throw projectiles at him: his chain attacks can't stop projectiles, and his speed prevents him from both recovering in time to block some projectiles, as well as making it hard for him to catch up to run-away players.