Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3/Spencer
Nathan "Rad" Spencer is a new character to the vs. series due to Capcom's reboot of Bionic Commando in 2009. He lost his arm, and his position in the US military during the war and became part of an experimental project to enhance him with a Bionic Arm. Due to his natural ability as a soldier, Spencer paved the way for Bionic Commando's and introduced the strongest fighting unit in the world.
In a nutshell
Spencer is Capcom's version of the character Spider-Man, sporting "zip-lines" for movement, he's able to use his own style of dashing to move around the map. Spencer's biggest strength is his damage output, tricky mix-ups and his super Bionic Arm. His damage comes from his grapples, in particular, using his Up Grapple into L will always do 80,000 points of damage even at max scaling! Clearly this was unintended, but as a result he's able to max out his damage tremendously, pair him with an assist like Hidden Missiles and he's able to utilize multiple "80k's" in one combo. His mix-ups include fast lows, a command overhead and a command grab, pair him with a beam assist and his zip-lines become increasingly hard to deal with. Bionic Arm is one of the fastest supers in the game with invulnerability frames, at point blank range it'll beat most options but it's easily punishable on block. If you like zipping around, dishing out incredible amounts of damage and having an insanely strong super in your back pocket, then he's the man for you. "Hooks in Ass" - IFC Yipes
Players to Watch
Combofiend, Danke, Bee, Knives, Yipes, Nemo, Infrit, Adelheid Stark, Darryn
60,000 + 80,000 + 130,000
Spencer has the ability to combo armor piercer after an up grapple in the corner. This is a character specific combo but yeilds an additional 18k damage and 1440 meter gain.
Morrigan, Felicia, Hsien-Ko, Firebrand, Arthur, Zero, Tron, Frank West, Akuma, Phoenix Wright, Vergil, Viewtiful Joe, Amaterasu, Rocket Raccoon, Shuma, Wolverine, X-23, & MODOK
Tips and Tricks
- Currently, Wire Grapple into Reel-in Punch (the follow-up) deals fully unscaled damage: no matter where in the combo it is, this version of Reel-in Punch will deal its full 80,000 damage.
- As noted above in the Hypers section, the first hit of Bionic Maneuvers will deal its full 20,000 damage, always unscaled, no matter where in the combo the move is used.
- Armor Piercer deals different damage and has different speeds, depending on how close you are to your opponent. At point-blank range, it deals its maximum damage and is extremely fast, while from a distance it deals less damage and is much, much slower.
- Many of Spencer's specials nullify projectiles. Use this to get around the screen and mitigate, if not nullify, zoning.
- Spencer's new OTG move is great in that, unlike his air wire grapple, Bionic Bomber does not require a wall-bounce. This allows Spencer to set up longer combos than before, including one that can use two hyper meter bars for two Bionic Maneuvers for huge damage.
A basic bread and butter combo for Spencer. If the opponent lands in the corner after the air special, use + instead to land the wire grapple. If you're fast enough, you can add another air wire grapple after the Bionic Lancer for a little more damage.
- , , , -> Forward Super Jump, , , , , land, OTG Assist, + -> add , forward jump, + -> + , jump, + , + , + -> +
A corner combo that uses an OTG Assist and two bars of meter to deal more than 800,000 damage. It's a lot easier to tiger knee the Bionic Bomber and wire grapple in order to do the moves in time, and the zip-line at the end should be done as late as possible. The idea is to get to the ground to use an Armor Piercer before the enemy can recover in the air.