Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3/Spider-Man
In a nutshell Spider-Man is a very agile character with the ability to cover distance swiftly through the use of his Web Glide, Air Dash and Web Swing. His overall speed and Web Glide allow for strong pressure on a cornered opponent while his Web Ball and Web Throw allow for large combo setups from a distance as well. In Ultimate, Spider-Man is able to cancel his Web Attacks into other Web attacks. This combined with the new abillity to hit OTG with his Web Glide means that Spidey can now deal out more hits making him a much greater threat.
Players to Watch
Otavio, Mamespider, Xero, Brightside
Character Specific Information
Tips and Tricks
- Due to the decreased recovery time on Spider-Man's Web Throw it can now easily be followed up with an easy Maximum Spider.
- A guaranteed Web Throw can be attached to the end of a simple, combo or used following an OTG assist.
- When jumping in with Spider-Man (or with a Web Glide) it may be more effective to use an air kick rather than an air attack to increase range and cross-up capabilities.
- Spidey's assists are absolutely terrible. Web Ball is way to slow to be useful, Spider Sting doesn't move high enough to be a good anti air (it's alright for combos and stuff but you can do better), and Web Swing is really only useful to add a little extra damage in. Still pretty terrible.
- Point- Spidey's best position. He doesn't use much meter, so he's great at building it. Spidey doesn't need an OTG assist anymore, but assists like beams or combo extenders really make Spidey that much better.
- Middle- Like it was said above, Spidey's assists are terrible. Therefore, he doesn't really offer much in this position. Outside of maybe DHCs or TACs, not much Spidey can do here.
- Anchor- Spidey also is pretty bad as an anchor. He doesn't have any lvl 3 Hypers to use or benefit from X Factor that much. He doesn't do much damage as well. Use Spidey on point.
1) + , + , + , + , , , , follow up with options below... a) + b) , Air Dash , + (Web Glide OTG), air (land), , follow up with options below... (with OTG assist) (launch), air , air , air , air , assist, + , + + (without OTG assist) (launch), air , air , air , , + (without OTG assist) , , + +
3) , , , , , Air Dash , + (Web Glide OTG), air (land), , + , + , air , air , air (land), , + , add , + , + +
- Spider-Man's maximum damage is done in close range. All of his long range moves work to bring Spider-Man in on the opponent while creating pressure situations. Web Ball doesn't trap the opponent long enough for you to decide how you will proceed based on a hit confirm so, for the most, part Spider-Man will already be moving in on an opponent even before the Web Ball connects.
- The Web Swing H will help to keep spider-men closing in on the opponent and can be used to gain ground following and Advanced Guard. Even if blocked, following up this move with an air combo followed by a crouching combo keeps the pressure on the opponent and will often be your entry way into larger sized combos.
- Since the Web Throw has become such a large part of Spider-Man's game due to it's range and OTG follow up it is highly recommended that the player become familiar with what projectile's the Web Throw can beat, nullify or which will just run over Spider-Man. Once the Web Throw connects Spider-Man is invincible to all attacks until the throw is completed. For example the Web Throw will beat Dante's Hysteric Missiles, nullify Ryu's Hadouken and be completely vulnerable to Spencer's Wire Grapple.
- As you start mixing up your combos with different web attacks you'll find that the hit stun deterioration will take a larger toll. In general (but not always) a rule of 3 Web Throws is safe. Three Web Throws in a row (with OTG follow ups) would be the extent before the opponent would be able to recover. If you include a Web Glide to start the combo then the Web Throws you can perform in the combo would be reduced by one, the same goes with the Web Ball attack. One opening Web Glide, one Web Ball and one Web Throw would be the extent to you can get in one combo before performing a hyper attack without having the opponent recover. On the other hand if you do attempt a fourth web throw attack and the opponent recovers without blocking you will have successfully reset the combo and be able to continue with a new set of 3 Web Throw attacks.