Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3/Thor
In a nutshell Thor is one of the more unique characters in the game, often compared to a slower Magneto but he's far from him. He doesn't have very much speed on the ground, but take to the skies and with enough practice you can move like the wind. He has the highest health in the game, a decent full screen projectile, a move with armored properties, lots of damage and an easy follow up with a command grab that can be done in the air. All in all, he's hard to master but in the right hands can be devastating.
Players to Watch
Serpentarus, Luizmau, emc, Mr.Flubbs, Royal Flush, Abegen
(321,600 ~ 382,700)
Tips and Tricks
- Mighty Punish is a great move. It's start up is instant, which is quite possibly one of the best reversals in the game. Having a good DHC, you can easily get a full combo afterwards. Abegen for example, uses She-Hulk to DHC, if the move connects you can go right into emerald cannon and combo! And if they jump in the air to avoid it? Then go into She-Hulks Taking out the Trash anti-air super and catch them in the air! Other hypers like Doom's Sphere Flame will whiff after a full two hits facing the right side and actually allow you to OTG and combo with St.H.
- You can super cancel out of any of Thor's command grabs. This is especially useful as a frame trap. Try doing a block string, then tick throw them into a command grab. If you are too early the command grab will whiff but you can always cancel into Thor's Mighty Punish and catch them off guard.
- Thor's command grabs can also be buffered during throw breaks. For example, at the beginning of the round, if they try to throw you and you tech the throw, you can buffer the command throw and input H again, it will double as another throw tech and also punish their throw attempt, talk about godly!
- Thor's air dash is only accessible at certain heights, however if you super jump there are less frames needed to air dash, try it out.
- Thor's jumping Light paired with tri-dashes is the best move to use as your high/low mix-up tool. However the hitbox is very small which means it will have trouble beating out other moves, so only use it during the cover of assists like Doom's Hidden Missiles or Amaterasu's Cold Star.
- Thor's in the air has a great hitbox, but it has very slow start up. Practice using it when approaching from a distance but be careful using it too much because it's easy to get thrown during it's use. However if it connects, it's easily one of the best ways to start a combo due to it's huge hit stun and high damage. Hitting a grounded opponent with this move will stagger them and allow a nice follow up.
- You may notice in some combo videos that after Mighty Smash M, that Thor is able to do crouching Heavy, this can only be done when mighty smash connects when they much higher in the air. As a rule, think of the apex of this move and if the opponent is hit at that height, there is a high chance a crouching Heavy will connect and give you a lot of damage.
- Crouching heavy also connects on Thor's command grab but only if you grab them in the air.
- Mighty Spark has an interesting property to it. There are two hitboxes associated with this move, one is the beam that goes full screen, the other is the circular spark around Thor's hammer. If an opponent is hit with the last hit of the spark around the hammer, they will go into a soft knock down. This allows you to do multiple relaunch combos using Mighty Spark Light as a way to bring them slowly to the ground. These sphere hitboxes are also the key to his TAC infinite.
- Thor has perhaps one of the worst forward ground dashes in the game, "Wave" dashing or "Plinking" forwards just isn't worth it. His air dash is the quickest way to cover ground towards your opponent. However, his back dash is actually quite good, try Wave or Plink dashing backwards and see how quickly he can run away.
- Thor's biggest strength is using air Mighty Strikes to cover ground with a big hitbox and is perfect for hitting assists with active hitboxes and converting happy birthdays.
- j.S, cr.LHS, j.MMHS (delay the S as much as possible), Mighty Smash H (fully charged), S, j.MM, Mighty Spark L (OR Mighty Strike M), Mighty Tornado
- j. Mighty Strike M, j.LMS (or j.LMH depending on how high they are), cr.LS (can also add Mighty Smash M in), j.MM, Mighty Spark L, Mighty Tornado
- j.L, LHS, j.H (delay the H), Mighty Spark L, Air-Dash Down, j.H (or M because it's easier), S, j.MH, Mighty Spark L, Air-Dash Down, j.H, S, j.MM, Mighty Spark L, Mighty Tornado
on DOWN TAC
- j.MM, Mighty Spark M, j.M, Mighty Spark M, Air-Dash Up-Forward, j.LM, Mighty Spark M, j.S. Can be followed up with an OTG assist into Mighty Spark H xx Mighty Tornado.
on UP TAC
- Mighty Spark M, j.M, Mighty Spark M, Air-Dash Up-Forward, j.LM, Mighty Spark M, j.S. Can be followed up with an OTG assist into Mighty Spark H xx Mighty Tornado.
The general idea with Thor is to cover ground with air mighty strike M. The M version has the best chance at hitting a grounded opponent and allowing you to convert into a combo. The easiest combo off an uncharged Mighty Strike M is simply using launcher to send them into an air combo. You can also improve the combo by doing a Mighty Smash M and then launch, or re-jump after the hit and do j.LMS, st.LS into combo.
Thor's ground game is generally pretty weak, you want to be in the air 90% of the time. The other 10% is using mighty spark L to control the ground, call your own assists under the cover of his beam and punish your opponents assist. All of Thor's ground normals are very punishable, so don't approach with raw ground normals too often, just stick to the skies and use his air dash down forward paired with L at low heights or with S at super jump height.
Play patiently, you have a ton of health and most of your easiest combos will do a lot of damage. You want to try and stay mid screen as much as possible to pose a threat with mighty strike, but not too close as to get air grabbed or hit with an Anti-Air while charging.
Assist Choices as a Point character
Thor needs two types of assists, one full screen projectile and one screen control. I HIGHLY recommend using Hidden Missiles as your main assist of choice, not only does Thor have good tech with Doom(see tech section above), but missiles covers all of Thor's movement, allows high/low mixups, gives you extended combos and can really make a difference in those scrambles. All of those pieces that make hidden missiles so good is what you should also be looking for in the assist choices for your Thor team. Mystic Ray can accomplish much of what missiles can do, it can OTG, provide full screen control and can help start offense, it's a good pick for Thor.
Thor also benefits well from lock down assists like Amaterasu's Cold Star which tremendously ups Thor's high/low potential and can also be used after an uncharged mighty strike H OTG to extend combos. Many other assists could potentially achieve this, such as Hsien-Ko's Senpu Bu or Frank West's Shopping Cart, there is certainly room for experimentation.
Thor needs a projectile to cover his tri-dashing, his low height mighty strikes and also as a way to punish those pesky zoners and their assists while mighty sparking yourself. The best projectile assists that I've found are Strange's Bolts of Balthakk, Ironman's Unibeam, Arthurs Dagger Toss and Hawkeye's Triple Arrows. Doom's beam and Magneto's Disruptor are still great assists but their knock down abilities actually hinder a lot of Thor's confirms. Again experimentation is key, other great assists could include Taskmaster's arrows, Chris' Machine Gun and maybe Vergil's Rapid Slash.
It's also nice to have an assist that compliments his block strings and enables easy confirms. Rocket's Log Trap is perfect for this, doing spark + log trap is a safe string when blocked and on hit, can lead into a devastating combo, you can confirm with a dash in normal or just charged strike L on the ground.
Things to note, Rapid Slash and Cold Star can both be used after an uncharged Mighty Smash H after an air combo to extend combos.
So here are the top assists to choose from:
Hidden Missiles, Mystic Ray, Bolts of Balthakk, Cold Star, Dagger Toss, Unibeam, Log Trap, Spitfire x2
Thor's Assists and Synergy with teams
Thor only really has two assists that are worth using, Mighty Spark(a) and Mighty Smash(b).
(a) is really great for teleport characters like Strange, mobile characters like Magneto and possibly even zoners like Dormammu. It's slow start up can actually be a good thing for characters like Magneto and Spencer. As Spencer, zip-lining across the screen and calling Thor can create some interesting cross-ups due to how delayed the beam is, it's also a great tool for 80ks and used in conjunction with his wall bounce the spark can actually negate the wall bounce! For Magneto, the slow start up can allow you to cr.LMH disruptor and go for more mix-ups. The spark around the hammer can equal big damage, using it at the end of a combo with HSD ignoring moves can really up the damage and build a ton of meter. A tricky technique is to alpha counter into the assist and immediately cancel into Mighty Punish command grab super, this is especially effective after an ineffective block string by your opponent.
(b) is best as a combo extender and alpha counter. The alpha counter can lead directly into a Thor combo at minimal HSD, the correct team set up can allow Thor to TOD off a counter. (b) is a great combo extender because of it's ground bounce, but it's only best suited for characters who do not need or use a ground bounce in their combo. It's important to know that Thor's (b) assist does not reset the ground bounce as some others do. What may come as a surprise and shouldn't, is that (b) is excellent on incoming mix-ups. Using it with a character who can create strong right/left situations on incoming can really benefit from (b) as it has a fast start up and leads to an easy confirm due to the ground bounce. Experiment with using this on incoming, it's quite fun!
Thor's primary responsibility in the second or anchor position should only be used for TAC's, alpha counters and DHC into Mighty Punish. Thor's assists are good, but they aren't THAT good, Thor is best played on point backed by a solid shell, however here are some tips for running Thor in other positions. Abegen's team makes best use of Thor 2nd because Mighty Punish's quick recovery allows Thor to easily tack on huge damage with Mighty Spark H and further follow-ups with charged Mighty Strikes. However if you aren't running Tron or Storm(hail storm), definitely concentrate on using Thor as a TAC damage builder. Thor has an infinite but there are much easier TAC combos above that are still extremely damaging, doing a solid combo at about 400K before TAC will easily net you 1mil with an OTG assist. It's also never a bad idea to have supers that set up a DHC into Mighty Punish, the trick is to have 3 meters so that when Mighty Punish connects, you have another DHC that can combo off it.
So, we talked about the types of assists Thor likes and the kinds of assists and synergy he has in general, now put it all together. On point Thor wants some way to extend a hard knock down from an air combo into charged mighty strikes to add on big damage. He also wants some kind of projectile to control the ground and help snipe assists. Thor is a good point selection when your other characters are support based, but he should be placed second when you have a great point character.
Examples of point Thor teams: Thor/Dorm/Doom, Thor/Strange/Doom, Thor/Strange/Ammy, Thor/Arthur/Doom, Thor/Rocket/Strange, Thor/Arthur/Strange, Thor/Vergil/Doom, Thor/Morrigan/Doom, Thor/Doom/Ammy, Thor/Doom/Phoenix.
Examples of non-point Thor teams: Spencer/Thor/Doom, Magneto/Thor/Doom, Nova/Thor/Doom, Tron/Thor/She-Hulk, Storm/Thor/Doom. Basically Thor/Doom is the most solid Thor shell you can have, but She-Hulk has the best overall synergy with Thor, she just isn't top tier :(
However there is a TON of room for experimentation, we still have yet to see many teams involving Thor.
Nova is one of the harder match ups because his air throw game is so good. I've found that by doing TK mighty spark L's you can effectively cover his box dash space and frustrate him. Playing a zoning game against Nova is completely acceptable, after all you have 1.25 mil health, you can afford to spark full screen while calling assists. Just be careful against other beam assists as any good Nova player will have and try to match their beam assist with one of your own, check out the assist section below to see which one is right for you. Always be mindful when you are planning on Mighty Striking, a good Nova will recognize what you are doing and go for the grab. It's a tricky and tough match up but it just takes getting used to the way it all spaces out, especially watch out for those inevitable air throw resets! Be careful of speed tackle, that shit beats everything.
A fully charged Mighty Strike will beat Zero's lightning, the main move Zero will try to do to catch you. Always be in the air, if you are on the ground you are getting mixed up. Stay mobile and always be mindful of those upwards lightnings, they will catch you and he will convert into a full combo. Stay aggressive when he doesn't have buster charged, and play defensive when he does have it charged. I like to think of it as turtle Thor, staying far enough away that you can still Mighty Strike through his BS and not have to worry too much about him catching you. Using mighty spark in this match up just isn't as good because of level 3 buster and sogenmu. Remember to abuse the reversal frames on Mighty Punish super to catch zero dropping a lightning loop, don't rely on the drop, just be aware that it may happen. When zero uses sogenmu in the neutral game, just be patient, there really isn't much you can do on the ground and even trying a fully charged mighty strike can be a risk due to his shadows.
I think this match up is fairly even, but Magneto probably gets the edge due to better normals and faster projectiles. Mighty Spark L will beat disruptor, but you have to preemptively use the move before magneto has a chance to use disruptor first as it's the faster projectile. Mighty Strike will actually beat magnetic blast and go through disruptor. A common strategy is to jump, call assist and mighty strike M, mighty strike will beat disruptor and your assist will be free to attack. Always be mindful of how fast Magneto can be in the air, there's always an opportunity for him to air throw you, but there's also an opportunity for you to command grab. When magneto starts plink dashing in the air to cover ground, try to anticipate their movement and go for the command grab. Be mindful of how much meter Magneto has, if he has anything over 2 meters, play a lot more patiently and stop using so many mighty strikes. If the Magneto player recognizes you are using mighty strike a lot, he can use shockwave and DHC into another character that can combo (like Dante) to punish you full screen, there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop shockwave or the coming DHC while you are in the air. It's almost unfair really, you can't play a ground game, you can't press a button in the air and you can't call an assist, your best bet is to bait them into doing it, maybe even call an assist as a bait just so he can lose his meter, just be aware of what kind of DHC he has.
Strategy vs. Thor
- Go for air throws, a lot.
- Don't push block ground normals, they are all unsafe and he has no real option to fly cancel because it's really bad.
- Use fast projectiles to clear the ground, Thor relies on his assists way too much.
- Don't be afraid to spend meter on full screen supers when he air dashes or starts to use mighty strike.
- If he's already 1.5 seconds in to charging mighty strike, do NOT press a button or call an assist, you will die.
- Respect his beam, it's pretty fast, but many characters can crouch underneath it.