Violent Ken (SvC)
Ken got kidnapped by Shadaloo(The Dictador's organization), got brainwashed, and now he's a killing machine called "Violent Ken"(Or "Evil Ken"), which is Ken's coolest(And probably strongest) version(He can be stronger in this version, but he still got some nerfs if you compare him to the regular Ken). Now for his pros and cons. (And he is on the new SF2 game, which isn't that bad for him)
Violent Ken's Good and Bad things:
- Not that hard to play;
- He got a teleport dash(It helps on MAXIMUM Mode loops as well);
- Got a unique air Tatsu;
- His strong DP has more invincibility frames;
- The Shinryuken is now a Super(Meaning that you can use it anytime, assuming you have meter for that);
- His (kind of) Jinrai-Kyaku+Shoryu-Reppa Super(Called "Kuzuryu-Reppa") will put the opponent on a juggle state(He has loops using it);
- Can connect multiple DPs, like the regular Ken(But it's harder with him);
- His Exceed is cooler(And easier to confirm if you compare it with the regular Ken's).
- Has lower stamina than his regular counterpart;
- His walking speed is slower than the regular Ken's;
- Can't combo after the air tatsu(Thanks to the horizontal angle);
- His jump arc got nerfed(It's a little harder to crossup with him now);
- Depends of the MAXIMUM Mode to do damage;
- The Shinruyken is now a Super(I know it is on the "Good things", but if it is a Super now, that means it got a damage nerf, right?);
- His projectile is still bad.
How to select V.Ken:
Wanna play him, but can't see him? No worries. While you're in the character select screen, do those inputs:
(While holding start, press) Up(2x), Down, Left(2x), Right, Left, Up.
If you want to use him online(Against your friends/foes), you can download Fightcade, and the SvC Chaos Plus ROM.
Most of V.Ken's moves are the same as the regular Ken's(Not only the normals), so I will just copy and paste everything.
s.LP - (Far) Good poking move. It's a incredible one just because it doesn't whiff on low crouching chars(It looked like, really). Can be normal canceled, and even chained into itself(The timing is tricky). (Close) Not that good for Light Attack chains, because it will whiff on some characters, but he can cancel it anyway.
s.LK - (Far) Can be useful as an anti-air, but he can just do a DP instead. Cannot be canceled. (Close) Good for Light Attack chains, but as a ender(You can't chain this move into itself, or other Light Attacks).
s.HP - (Far) Fast, but not that useful. Will whiff on low crouching chars(That's why f.LP is better), and cannot be normal canceled. (Close) Use this normal on combos. Can be easily canceled(And comboed) into almost all of Ken's Special/Super Moves.
s.HK - (Far) Ken's poke with the best reach. Won't whiff on low crouching chars, and it has a decent recovery too, which makes it good to use. Can't be normal canceled. (Close) Like the cl.HP, but it's a knee, and cannot be canceled(Just use the cl.HP).
j.LP - (Diagonal) Can be used as a jump-in attack, but Ken has better options for that. (Neutral) Can be used as a neutral jump-in attack for combos. Only that.
j.LK - (Diagonal) One of Ken's jump attacks for crossup combos, and it's very easy to combo after it. Ken has better options for crossup attacks, but that doesn't mean that you can't use this move. (Neutral) Kick aiming up. Good to use if your opponent has a high jump.
j.HP - (Diagonal) Punch for jump-in attacks. Good damage on this one. (Neutral) Almost the same as the above, but aiming a little for the ground.
j.HK - (Diagonal) Ken's move in the air! Useful as an air-to-air, air to ground, and for crossup(and damaging) combos! Learn this move(Or the diagonal j.LK) for crossup combos, you'll need it in your game(Remember: Ken is an "In your face" char, so if you have an opportunity, do stylish combos on your opponent). (Neutral) Just an air-to-air defensive move. You can use this, but you'll need to know what to do after it.
cr.LP - Just a little punch that is useful as a poke(Has a little more reach than the f.LP). Can be normal canceled, chains into itself, and even other Light Attacks.
cr.LK - A kick that hits low. Good to use on Light Attack chains, but as a starter. Can be normal canceled, and chained into itself.
cr.HP - Another anti-air. Just do a DP instead. Can be normal canceled too(You can use this on combos instead of the cl.HP, but that's optional).
cr.HK - The Shoto's sweep. Can be used as a low poke. You can actually cancel this move, so if you need meter, cancel it into a Projectile/DP/Tatsu.
Inazuma Kakato Wari
- f+LK - Ken's overhead kick. It's a little fast, but you cannot cancel it(Outside of MAXIMUM Mode). Do it mostly on the opponent's wakeup. You can MAX cancel his normals into this move, but you can't connect them.
Kurubushi Kick (aka cr.MK)
- db+HK - The Shoto's classic cr.MK. Ken has the fastest cr.MK between the Shotos in this game(It is so fast that he can link two cr.MKs), which is good for him and his combos. It hits low too.
- QCF+P - Ken's regular projectile, but it is purple now(Probably to match with the Psycho Power). No changes between Ken/V.Ken(Meaning that this move is still bad). The button pressed will determine the speed of the projectile.
- DP+P - A regular DP. The HP version has purple flames, and more invincibility frames. Use the LP version as an anti-air, and the HP version on combos, as it can be MAX canceled into supers, and even into itself(You'll see that later, and the regular Ken can do the same thing, in an easier way).
- DP+K - V.Ken's new teleport move, which resembles Yang's. It is a dash teleport, and has some invincibility frames on the startup(Only). You can pass through your opponent while Ken gets invisible, but when he appears again(At the end of the move), the opponent will be pushed instead. There is a MAXIMUM Mode loop using this move too.
Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku
- QCB+K - Ken's regular tatsu. The button pressed will determine how many hits it will do. Better when used on the corner(You'll get more hits in there). Can be used as an anti-air as well.
Kuuchuu Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku
- QCB+K(In the air) - V.Ken's unique horizontal tatsu. The direction the tatsu will go depends of the jump(If you jump backwards, Ken will move backwards. If you jump forward, Ken will move forward. If you neutral jump, Ken will move forward as well). You can't do many things with it(V.Ken can't cancel air normals, and you can't combo after it, unlike the other Tatsus), so use this one as an air-to-air move only, or as an runaway move.
Kama Barai Geri
- HCF+LK - One of Ken's "Geri" moves. It is cool to use, but Ken has better options. It will whiff on most crouching chars as well. You can MAX cancel it too.
Nata Otoshi Geri
- HCF+HK - The best "Geri", in my opinion. It does two hits, where the first will hit any character, and the second will whiff on small hitboxes.
Oosoto Mawashi Geri
- HCF+KK - Just a kick, and the worst "Geri" move, in my opinion. You can anti-air with it, but the DP is just better. It will knock the opponent down, so you can't combo after it. (Important note: All of the "Geri" moves can be MAX canceled, but you can't cancel a "Geri" move into another "Geri" move.)
Inazuma Kakato Wari
- Hold K(After any "Geri" move) - Ken will do his f+LK Command Move. Dunno if it's useful, because it won't combo after the "Geri" moves.
- QCF(2x)+K - The regular Ken's Exceed, but with less damage, because it is a Super now(But you can mash the kick buttons to get more damage and hits!). It has the same properties(Without assuming the damage nerf), but it is cooler now. You can use this as a damaging anti-air as well. For combos, this move is better when used after the Super below.
- QCB(2x)+K - V.Ken's Super for combos. It is like a Jinrai-Kyaku + Shoryu-Reppa mix that will leave the opponent on a juggle state. You can follow it up with the Super above(You don't even need to move, just do the super's input), but it will cost you 2 bars; the regular DP(Use the Heavy one, and make sure you get at least 2 hits, because this Super + DP+HP is a setup for a MAXIMUM Mode loop), and even confirm the Exceed(Time well for that).
- QCF, HCB+PP - Probably one of the coolest Exceeds in this game. Ken rushes into the opponent, and when he connects, V.Ken will do a punching-and-kicking series, finishing with a strong uppercut, which makes an energy pillar, and a head appears on it(I think that this pillar is part of one of Rugal's Super moves). Ken does a pose(Which makes me think that he can't control himself), and the Super ends. It does one health bar in damage terms, and you have some great options to confirm it.
Violent Ken is a great "In your face" character, like the regular version. You'll want to do many stylish(And damaging) combos on the opponent, because your character is strong, and cool. But without meter, he can't do many things, sadly, and that's why you'll need to save it for the MAXIMUM Mode, and/or for a big Kuzuryu-Reppa punish. To anti-air, just use the DP+LP, it is one of the safest(And best) things on Ken's arsenal. For the Exceed, no worries, really. You can confirm it easily. That's it, Good Luck with him.
Some combos (Without MAXIMUM Mode)
V.Ken has cool(And very easy) combos to use on any match, so you can learn most of them to expand your options. If you know more combos for him, you can add them below.
Hadouken (QCF+P) combos:
Ken's projectile is nearly useless, so I won't add combos here(You can put here, in case you want).
Shoryuken (DP+P) combos:
1- [Jump Attack] cr.LK, DP+HP - 4 hits; 5 with a Jump Attack
A great combo with a low starter. Don't add another Light after the cr.LK, because the opponent won't be knocked down, and the opponent will have time to punish you after it.
2- [Jump Attack(Only works if you crossup)] cl./cr.HP, DP+HP - 4 hits; 5 with a Jump Attack
This one is for punishing purposes(To punish, you'll need damage, not a low. But still, a combo is better with a Jump Attack).
3- [Jump Attack] cl./cr.HP, db+HK, QCB(2x)+K, wait, DP+HP(When the opponent is near you) - 24 hits; 25 with a Jump Attack
A cool combo with does almost one 50%(One health bar) in damage terms. You can learn this one, in case you don't have meter to do a Shinryuken after the super.
Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku (QCB+K) combos: (Note: For any tatsu combo, it's better if you use the LK version on midscreen, because it is safer, and the HK version on the corner, to get more hits. I'll put only the maximum hits you can get with the combo, which means, using the HK version on the corner)
1- [Jump Attack] cl./cr.HP, db+HK, QCB+K - I got 8 hits with and without a Jump Attack
This is the most damaging thing you can do with the tatsu. Good for punishing too.
2- [Jump Attack] cr.LK, db+HK, QCB+K - 8 hits, 9 with a Jump Attack
The most effective tatsu combo, which starts with a low-hitting move. On the corner, you add more cr.LKs, and that means you can add more hits and damage to the combo(I think).
Combos with "Geri" Moves(HCF++LK/HK/KK): (Note: I'll use only the HCF+HK here, but you can add combos with the other ones too.)
1- [Jump Attack] cl./cr.HP, HCF+HK - 2 hits; 3 with a Jump Attack; 4 if you crossup the opponent
Cool combo, but risky to use on small characters.
2- [Jump Attack] cr.LK, HCF+HK - 3 hits; 4 with a Jump Attack
Just a combo starting with a low. V.Ken can do better things.
1- [Jump Attack] cr.LK, QCF(2x)+K - 10 or more hits, depends of your mashing
Just a simple confirm. You can add another cr.LK, but this will make part of the super whiff. To get more damage, switch the cr.LK with a cl./cr.HP.
1- [Jump Attack(It was a little hard to add it on the combo, at least, for me)] cl./cr.HP, db+HK(Optional), QCB(2x)+K, DP+HP/QCF(2x)+K/Exceed - 24/+30(Just mash to get more)/33 hits; 25/+31/34 with a Jump Attack
V.Ken's way to combo into anything he wants(You can do 2 cr.LKs instead of the cl.HP, db+HK, if you want a low starter), and those 3 options are the best follow-ups for the Super. You should learn each one, because they are useful depending of the situation. The DP+HP is that thing to use when you don't have meter, and if you like MAXIMUM Mode loops, you should learn the timing to get at least the first hit of it. The QCF(2x)+K is the risky one, because you'll lose meter, but you'll make the opponent lose one health bar(He'll have the Exceed to use after the combo, so watch out). The Exceed is mainly for punishing, thanks to the incredible damage(Confirming the Exceed is the best thing you can do in SvC). You can confirm it with a MAXIMUM Mode loop, but in case you're on the normal mode, you can just use it alone.
Exceed(QCF, HCB+PP) combos:
1- [Jump Attack] cl./cr.HP, Exceed - 13 hits; 14 with a Jump Attack
This is an easy confirm. I'm not sure if you can add a db+HK after the cl./cr.HP, because it's very hard to cancel it into the Exceed(I don't think it should hit too). He has another confirm, which is above.
(Important note: Most of the things here are in the regular Ken's section as well, but with some little changes)
Double Shoryuken cancel
This is a tech that you should learn for V.Ken's advanced combos(It's a good way to spend meter). The Double Shoryuken cancel is a very important thing in his game(Isn't unique for him, he isn't the only character that can link more than one DP in one combo), but it's a little tricky to do. This can be called "Double", but you can repepat it many times, but based in your MAXIMUM Mode gauge. Now, "How can I do it?" First, V.Ken must not have the ability to use his Exceed(If you assume you are in a real match, you can either be with the yellow life, or you can even spend your Exceed before you try this). Now, Ken must be in MAXIMUM Mode(You should open your training mode while you read this). Now, do a DP+HP, and as you already know, it does 3 hits(And we don't need the 3rd hit). Now, the tricky part begins. First, try to "cancel" the first hit of the DP+HP into a HCB+PP(Normally, if you had the Exceed avaliable, you would combo into the Exceed. It's like Kim's Haki cancel, if you know what I mean). You can be asking: "Is this a special move?" No, this isn't even a move, it's just part of the trick. Now, after you "canceled", did V.Ken flash? If not, I'm sorry, because you missed. If yes, that's fine, but that's only the easiest part. Now, try to, after the "cancel", do another DP+HP on your opponent by canceling the second hit of the DP. V.Ken will do another DP+HP, and remember that in MAXIMUM Mode, you can Supercancel the DP+HP, leading to more damaging combos! But sadly, you can't do DP into Exceed, because you must not have the Exceed avaliable to use this tech... I know, it's hard to do, but with practice, you can master this technique. (Important note: This thing is a little easier to perform with the regular Ken.)
Some combos (With MAXIMUM Mode)
You can add more combos if you know some more.
Combos just in case you don't like loops
1- [Jump Attack] cl.HP/cr.LK, cl.LK, DP+HP, (Optional Double Shoryuken Cancel; Cancel the second hit of the DP into), QCB(2x)+K, any possible followup - (More than) 22 hits(Depends of the followup used, and if you used the Double Shoryuken Cancel); 23 with a Jump Attack
This one is the regular Ken's MAXIMUM Mode BnB, but better(Thanks to the juggle after the Super). You can get damage easily after the super, with something like: Shinryuken(You're on MAXIMUM Mode, so you'll only lose the MAXIMUM Mode meter. Oh, and don't forget to mash like crazy) or even DP+HP into Exceed(Not that hard to do, and it's your most damaging option, without considering the loop).
The loop(Or loops, dunno if he has another good one)
1- Any combo ending with the QCB(2x)+K Super, DP+HP(Make sure to get the first and the second hits of the DP, but cancel the second hit into) DP+LK(Using HK makes V.Ken crossup the opponent, so I think this one is easier), (Time well) DP+HP, (Cancel the second hit into) DP+LK, ... (When you want, cancel any second hit of any DP into) Exceed - More than 30 hits
The best V.Ken combo. That's what I can say. You'll need this one, but if you don't like loops, stick with the above(It is as good as this one, but this one does more damage).