Marvel vs Capcom 2/Teams
Marvel has 56 characters to choose between, each with three assist types to pick between. As such, there is over a million team variants to pick between. The following are particularly noteworthy choices. Generally the order of the characters can be switched within reason. Storm and Sentinel can generally be interchanged on point, but Magneto should generally always be either the first or last character on a team, and only last if he's paired with Sentinel on point. The assists chosen for the characters listed are the general preferred assists to use, but other assists can certainly be used if they're effective for you.
Generally there are exceedingly strong pairings - Storm backed by a good anti-air and hopefully Sentinel (for the DHC), Sentinel backed by any good anti-air, Cable backed by Sentinel and a good anti-air - that form the back-bone of all great teams.
Top Tourney Teams
- Magneto-A/Storm-A/Sentinel-A. AKA "MSS". One of many teams that allow you to exploit the Storm/Sentinel DHC, which generally should allow you to completely kill an opposing character.
- Magneto-A/Storm-A/Psylocke-A. AKA "MSP".
- Sentinel-Y/Storm-A/CapCom-B. AKA "Santhrax", after Sanford Kelly, a top New York player.
- Storm-A/Sentinel-Y/Cyclops-B. AKA "Matrix" - Storm being Trinity, Sentinel being a robot, and Cyclops being Neo and spreading the code via his optic blasts.
- Cable-B/Sentinel-Y/CapCom-B. AKA "Team Scrub" - this is a fundamentals-focused team that beginning players can do well with. Once Cable has three levels, it's quite deadly.
- Sentinel-Y/Cable-B/Cyclops-B. AKA "ScrubClops".
- Magneto-A/Cable-B/Sentinel-A. AKA "Team Row" after RowTron, a top Seattle player.
- Magneto-A/Iron Man-B/Sentinel-Y. AKA "Combofiend" after Combofiend, a top California player.
- Sentinel-Y/Strider/Doom-B. AKA "Clockw0rk" after Clockw0rk, a top California player. Generally a very interesting team, but if Strider or Doom dies the team is usually in bad trouble.
- Magneto-A/Storm-A/Tron-Y. AKA "MST" - this team does an incredible amount of damage. As Isaac put it, "mash buttons and good things happen."
Top Low Tier Teams
- Rogue-A/Storm-A/Tron-Y. Played to near perfection by Vegita-X, it showcases Rogue's speed and cross-ups, as well as having a painful DHC.
- Juggernaut-Y/Tron-Y/Doom-B. Famous as being MikeZ's team, it does incredible damage and generally benefits from a glitched Juggernaut.
- xxx/Cable-B/Tron-Y. Generally Tron Bonne's assist is very exploitable and make most non-high-tier characters relatively playable.
Other Teams of Interest
- Spiral-A/Cable-B/Sentinel-Y. The team that basically won Evo2k5. Extremely good at trapping and chipping.
- Blackheart-B/Sentinel-Y/CapCom-B. AKA "Team Watts" - a very fundamental team that's great at controlling space.
- Iron Man-B/Storm-A/Cable-B. AKA "Team Japan", used by a number of the top Japanese players.
- Iron Man-B/War Machine-B/Doom-B. One of the many Iron Man/Doom pairings, used to creatively set up the Iron Man infinite.