There are 2 forms of common notation, traditional and numpad notation. Traditional notation refers to directions and motions by their english names. Numpad notation uses numbers and sequences of numbers to refer to directions and moves, as corresponds with a number pad.
- F - 6 - Forward - Tilt stick forward/towards the opponent. (X-axis)
- B - 4 - Backward/Back - Tilt stick backward/away from the opponent. (X-axis)
- U - 8 - Up - Tilt stick upwards. (Y-axis)
- D - 2 - Down - Tilt stick downwards. (Y-axis)
- QCF - 236 - D, DF, F - Quarter circle forward/Hadouken/Fireball - Tilt stick downwards, then to downwards and forward, then forward.
- QCB - 214 - D, DB, B - Quarter circle backward - Tilt stick downwards, then to downwards and backward, then backward.
- HCF - 41236 - Half circle forward - Tilt stick backwards, then to downwards and backward, then to downward, then to downwards and forward, then forward.
- HCB - 63214 - Half circle backward - Tilt stick forwards, then to downwards and forward, then to downward, then to downwards and backward, then backward.
- DP - 623 - F, D, DF - Dragon punch - Tilt stick forwards, then to downward, then to downward and forward. In SFIV, there is a "shortcut" for this motion: DF, neutral, DF.
- 360 - 6321478 - Full circle - Complete a full rotation of the stick (Does not need to be a full rotation, 270 degrees works fine, eg, starting at Forward, and ending on Up).
- 720 - 632147896321478 - Complete a 720 degree rotation of the stick (The second rotation is only as strict as a regular 360).
- Charge - 8 - 6 - Hold a tilt - Hold the stick in either B or D (Depending) then move to F or U respectively.
- [ ] - Indicates the button or direction inside the brackets is to be held down, such as for a charge move or the point where one begins holding a button to set up for negative edge.
- ] [ - Indicates the button or direction inside the brackets is to be released, such as for a negative edge move, like Boxer's Turn Around Punch, or Cody's Zonk Knuckle.
Six Button Notation
- Jab - Light Punch (LP)
- Strong - Medium Punch (MP)
- Fierce - Hard Punch (HP)
- P - any punch
- PPP or 3P - all three punches simultaneously
- Short - Weak Kick (LK)
- Forward - Medium Kick (MK)
- Roundhouse (RH) - Hard Kick (HK)
- K = any kick
- KKK or 3K - all three kicks simultaneously
- ~ Immediately after, e.g "Strong~Fierce" means press Fierce IMMEDIATELY after Strong, f~f means to double tap forward (dash).
- , Link
- xx Special Cancel
- > Chain Cancel
- jc Jump Cancel
- sj Super Jump Cancel
- adc Air Dash Cancel
- st. - The following move should be performed in the standing position (neutral in the Y-axis). i.e. st.Fierce, perform a Fierce whilst standing.
- cr. - The following move should be performed in the crouched position (held down in the Y-axis). i.e. cr.Fierce, perform a Fierce whilst crouching.
- j. - The following move should be performed in the "in the air" position (After having held up in the Y-axis). i.e. j.Fierce, perform a Fierce whilst in the air.
- cl. - The following move should be performed close to the opponent, while standing. i.e. cl.Forward, perform a Forward while standing close to the opponent.
- f. - The following move should be performed far from the opponent, while standing. i.e. f.Forward, perform a Forward while standing far from the opponent.
- Claw = American Vega = Japanese Balrog
- Boxer = American Balrog = Japanese Bison
- Dictator (Dic) = American Bison = Japanese Vega
Not everyone plays on the American version, and some character names are different in the Japanese version, so to avoid confusion, we should not use the names Vega, Bison, or Balrog.