Street Fighter X Tekken/Hwoarang
In a nutshell
Traditional crouch tech (db+LP+LK) doesn't work well with Hwoarang because he has a db+LK command normal which is very slow and easily frame-trapped. You can avoid this by inputting db+LP+KKK, which will cause Hwoarang to enter Flamingo stance and immediately cancel it. (Hwoarang's default LP+HK quick combo does not activate because it cannot be used while crouching.) He is vulnerable for the 1f of startup but can block again immediately afterwards. This technique, nicknamed the "Teabag OS", makes it nearly impossible to punish Hwoarang for teching. It is a bit difficult to press all 4 buttons on the same frame, but it's worth learning. Alternatively, if you have an 8 button stick, you can map your two extra buttons to LP and KKK to make this very easy.
- For basic pressure, use a light attack chained into st.MK > MK > HK. If it hits, cancel into Heavy or EX Hunting Hawk (qcb+K). On block, cancel to Special Step (dp+HP) quickly canceled into Dynamite Heel (hcb+LP) to move forward and end at +1 advantage.
- st.MK > MK can also be confirmed into FLA (f), MP-HK xx qcb+KK for extra damage. This requires a 1-frame link.
- On block, st.MK > MK can transition into FLA (f) for +1 advantage. Frame trap with FLA LK > MK xx dp+HP xx hcb+LP to end at +1 advantage in FLA stance. (This sequence also works on hit, for 227 damage.) This makes FLA LP, a 3f normal, available for frame traps. FLA LP is 0 on block and has no safe chains out of it (except BC xx dp+PP xx hcb+LP). FLA LK > MK > etc. pressure can be looped just like cr.LK-st.MK > etc. pressure.
- f+MK doubles as a mix-up and pressure tool. If it hits, it can be linked into cr.LK for a combo. If it is blocked, it has +2 advantage regardless of whether you choose to transition to FLA (f), allowing you to follow up with a variety of frame traps.
Every time you initiate one of Hwoarang's safe blockstrings, you can use an OS to punish most characters' backdashes with cr.HK. This does not work with strings initiated from st.LP.
How to use the OS
- + or + or +
- If st.LK was used in step 1, this must be inputted almost immediately afterwards. This is to make the game only register the input for a boost combo into st.MK and not Hwoarang's st.LK > MK string, which can come out on whiff.
- + + when the whiffed light attack would recover, which is just before the st.MK would hit.
If this OS is used starting at +1 frame advantage:
- Does not work on: Kazuya, Ogre, Steve
- 1f timing on: Cammy, Chun-Li, Poison, Vega
- 2f timing on: Zangief, King
- Corner only: Dhalsim, Ibuki, Nina, Xiaoyu, Asuka, Hwoarang, Law, Julia, Marduk
After HK Hunting Hawk (qcb+HK) in the corner: Jump forward into the corner, and upon landing, immediately jump again. Very early in the second jump, input Air Raid Special (hcf+K) to dive back to the ground. You can mix up the direction of the second jump and the version of Air Raid Special to control which side Hwoarang lands on. (On average-sized characters, Hwoarang can still cross up if his second jump is towards the corner. However, on larger characters, he cannot.) The only way for the opponent to avoid this mix-up is by rolling into the corner, forcing Hwoarang outside of the corner. In any case, you will always be right in front of the opponent with enough frame advantage to pressure as usual.
Note: cr.LK is used as an example starter for confirms, but other light attacks work as well.
Bread and Butters
- (air-to-air counterhit), cr.MP xx qcb+HK
- (tag in), st.HK xx qcb+HK
Hit Confirm Combos
- cr.LK-st.MK > MK > HK xx qcb+HK (252)
- cr.LK-st.MK > MK > MK-st.HP-HP+HK (218) - hits can be omitted depending on damage output of incoming character
- cr.LK-st.MK > MK > HK xx qcb+KK, j.HK, cr.MP xx qcb+HK (377; 1 bar)
- f+MK, cr.LK-st.MK > MK > HK xx qcb+HK (277)
- f+MK, cr.LK-st.MP > MP xx qcb+KK, j.HK, cr.MP xx qcb+HK (388; 1 bar)
- cr.LK-st.MK > MK > f, MP-HK-HP+HK (267) - HK can be omitted depending on damage output of incoming character
- cr.LK-st.MK > MK > df, cr.LP-st.MP > LP, st.MK (whiff) > MK > f (215, reset)
- cr.LK-st.MK > MK > f, MP-HK xx qcb+KK, j.HK, cr.MP xx qcb+HK (410; 1 bar)
- f+HK, st.MK (whiff) > MK > f (130, reset)
- FLA MP > MP > f, HK xx qcb+HK (347)
- FLA MP-HK xx qcb+KK, j.HK, cr.MP xx qcb+HK (492)
- FLA MK > LK > df, cr.LK-st.MP > LP, st.MK (whiff) > MK > f (243, reset)
Combos Into Supers