Super Smash Bros. Melee/Dr. Mario
- 1 Introduction
- 2 "A" Moves Analysis
- 3 "B" Moves List
- 4 Combos
- 5 Frame Data
- 6 Match-ups
Dr. Mario is a clone character of Mario. Outside of SSBM, Dr. Mario originates from the Dr. Mario series of puzzle video games made by Nintendo, beginning with "Dr. Mario" that first appeared on the NES. He ranks 9th on Melee’s tier list, higher than the original character of Mario. His tier placement is for his great combos and overall uniqueness as a fighter, such as an unusual sex kick. His approach options are also very good, with a long wavedash and a good air game, as well as a very good SHFFL. Dr. Mario also has a good projectile, which itself can be used to aid his approach. However, Dr. Mario's primary weakness is his abysmal recovery, which is one of the worst in the game, due to its predictability and few methods of increasing its distance.
"A" Moves Analysis
"B" Moves List
- Pill Rush: Bombard the enemy with a wall of Pills exerted after a short jumped into a fast fall and at ground point. Repeat this three Pill fire sequence while approaching the opponent to render them almost stunned. This technique does not work as well for Mario, due to the Pills added weight and higher bounce.
- Wall of Pain: Use of backward aerials to effectively keep the opponent off the edge. Doctor Mario can use multiple back aerials off the edge making him an excellent edge guarder.
- Super Jump Punch cancel: Dr. Mario is the only character able to cancel his up special move. Within the first four frames, the player must activate the move so that Dr. Mario moves in the backward direction of where he's facing by quickly moving the control stick in the opposite direction. The opponent will be sent up at a trajectory based solely on their weight and Doctor Mario will be able to move. Another way the player can do this is by using Super Jump Punch so that Dr. Mario would jump backwards and then tilting the control stick downward during the first few frames of the animation. This can be used to shield cancel and punish the opponent for approaching or for trying to break the player's shield
- Taunt cancel: Dr. Mario is the only character that can taunt cancel, along with Young Link and Pikachu (although for Pikachu, the player has to do it a different way than Dr. Mario and Young Link). To taunt cancel, the player has to run towards a edge and right before they reach the edge and do the edge animation, taunt and Dr. Mario will just about to throw his pill but he will have it canceled and he would do the edge animation so Dr. Mario can still move after he taunted. This doesn't really help, but the player can use it to show skill.
- Down throw + Dr. Tornado - a reliable and basic combo. Dr. Mario's version of the Mario Tornado sends foes on a random trajectory, making it hard for the foe to counter it.
- Down throw + up tilt + up tilt - A basic up tilt and up tilt, where the first up tilt usually doesn't launch the foe in a random trajectory due to close range, but the second one does.
- Down throw + up smash- reliable against fast fallers between low to mid-high damage percentages, good for leading into aerial follow ups.
- Down throw + Super Jump Punch - a near-useless combo, but doable nonetheless, where Dr. Mario can use his up special after his down throw, though usually only hits once or twice, and sends him and the foe in opposite directions.
- Down throw + neutral combo - a situational combo where Dr. Mario can just barely connect his neutral attacks with a fallen foe.
- Down throw + Cape- another situational combo where Dr. Mario can assume the foe will try to dodge roll away from him when they try to fastfall and land, only to have them rolling the other way into a combo.
- Down throw + Down smash- this combo usually works at low damage percentages. The foe is almost always hit before they can escape due to the down smash's speed
- Up throw + up tilt- a basic combo, where the foe is sent at a random trajectory due to his up tilt physics.
- Up throw + Super Jump Punch - if the foe DIs slightly just right immediately after, his up special can be used for good damage.
- Up throw + Dr. Tornado - a DI-able combo, similar to one of his down throw combos.
- Up throw + up smash - a basic combo, good for setups and low to mid-low %s
- Up throw + any aerial - a multi-purpose setup for aerials.
Serious Advantage Match-ups
Bowser, Kibry, Pichu
Pikachu, DK, Link, Y.Link, Zelda, Roy, Mew2, Yoshi, G&W, Ness
Puff, Ice Climbers, Samus, Mario, Luigi
Fox, Falco, Sheik, Peach, C.Falcon, Ganondorf
Serious Disadvantage Match-ups
|General||Notation | Game Mechanics | Tiers | Strategy|
|The Characters||Bowser | Captain Falcon | Dr. Mario | Donkey Kong | Falco | Fox | Ganondorf | Ice Climbers | Jigglypuff | Kirby | Link | Luigi | Mario | Marth | Mewtwo | Mr. Game and Watch | Ness | Peach | Pichu | Pikachu | Roy | Samus | Sheik | Yoshi | Young Link | Zelda|