Super Smash Bros. Melee/Jigglypuff
- 1 Introduction
- 2 "B" Moves List
- 3 "A" Moves Analysis
- 4 Combos
- 5 Frame Data
- 6 Strategies
- 7 Match-ups
Jigglypuff, known in Japan as Purin, is an unlockable character in Super Smash Bros. Melee from the Pokémon series, making a return from the original. Jigglypuff retains most of its moves from the past game, though with some modifications. Jigglypuff is 3rd place on the tier list, due to its incredible recovery, which is one of the best in the game, an extremely dangerous edgeguarding technique of the wall of pain, a powerful KO move that can easily be comboed into, and an overall great aerial game and metagame. Its floatiness also makes it the only character in the top tier who cannot be easily chaingrabbed, which is also aided by its small size. Regardless, Jigglypuff still has a slew of problems; its combination of being light and floaty makes it easier to KO than other characters, and it has a rather short wavedash, though the latter point is relatively moot since Jigglypuff spends most of its time in the air. Jigglypuff's options on the ground are also limited, because of its poor range and a lack of a projectile.
"B" Moves List
"A" Moves Analysis
- Neutral attack- Two fast jabs. The first hit does 2-3%, the second does 3-5%. The first hit, though low in range, has good enough hitstun to be L-cancelled into a grab, into a tilt, or into itself. The second hit is good for spacing.
- Forward tilt- Quick roundhouse spin, with foot extended. 10%, move gets stale very quickly.
- Down tilt- Quickly extends its foot downwards as a Drill Kick. 10%.
- Up tilt- Extends its foot upwards quickly. Surprisingly good at combos, can chain into it at low percentages, and at higher percentages it is a great setup for an aerial attack. 9%
- Dash attack- A generic dash attack, trips and falls head-first. Somewhat fast, but predictable. 12%
- Forward smash- Does a small hop forward with foot extended. Minor startup and ending lag, but good finisher at higher %'s. 17% damage.
- Down smash- Enlarges both feet below it. Great for spacing, if used near the edge can lead into an edgeguarding kill. 12% damage.
- Up smash- Rocks it's head up. Though having small startup and ending lag, it is good for leading into aerial combos or finishing. 14%.
- Ledge attack- Gets up on stage, foot extended. 6% damage.
- 100% Ledge attack- Slows gets up and spins it's body in a similar fashion to down smash. 6% damage.
- Floor attack- Gets up and spins body in a similar fashion to down smash. 8% damage
- Forward aerial- Undoubtedly one of Jigglypuff's best moves, fastly extends both feet in front of itself. It has excellent knockback for edgeguarding. This move is the backbone of most of Jiggly's aerial combos. 12% damage.
- Neutral aerial- Squishes itself and extends it's feet. Good priority and also decent spacing move. 12% damage has Sex Kick properties, as it gets somewhat weaker as it's out.
- Down aerial- A drill kick. Not much hitstun, though has good amount of damage when all hits connect. 11% damage if all hits connect.
- Back aerial- Similar to its forward aerial, this move is Jigglypuff's key tool for edgeguarding. Suddenly turns around and kicks. Good speed. 12% damage.
- Up aerial- Waves it's hand up in an arch. Not the best aerial killer, though excellent for juggling. 11% damage.
- Pummel- Punches foe in the stomach. 2-3% damage per hit. Somewhat slow.
- Forward throw- Puff itself up and launches foe in front. Surprising knockback for a throw of Melee, can lead into an edgeguard kill near the ledge. Second strongest forward throw in Melee. The knockback can KO opponents above 130% when used very close to the ledge. 12% damage.
- Up throw- Tosses foe above itself. Can lead into aerial combos against fast fallers. It can also lead into up aerial at low percentage. 11% damage.
- Back throw- Similar to Kirby's, takes foe and throws them behind while going on its back. 10% damage.
- Down throw- Grinds foe with itself on the floor. 8% damage.
Serious Advantage Match-ups
Ness, Bowser, Kirby, Pichu
Shiek, Marth, Peach, C.Falcon, IC, Ganon, Samus, Pikachu, Mario, Luigi, DK, Link, Y.Link, Zelda, Mew2, Yoshi, G&W
Serious Disadvantage Match-ups
|General||Notation | Game Mechanics | Tiers | Strategy|
|The Characters||Bowser | Captain Falcon | Dr. Mario | Donkey Kong | Falco | Fox | Ganondorf | Ice Climbers | Jigglypuff | Kirby | Link | Luigi | Mario | Marth | Mewtwo | Mr. Game and Watch | Ness | Peach | Pichu | Pikachu | Roy | Samus | Sheik | Yoshi | Young Link | Zelda|