The King of Fighters XIII/Hwa Jai
In a nutshell
Hwa Jai stopped drowning his Fatal Fury sorrows from defeat in alcohol and makes his first appearance KOF. Hwa Jai shares an almost identical set of normals with Joe, but his options form his special moves allow him to play much different than his Muay Thai predecessor. Hwa has a tricky set of tools that allows him to set up aerial traps akin to Mai's 'gimmicky' techniques. He can easily alter his aerial trajectories and his specials have been considerably improved across the board, which includes his damage power up and command grab DMs.
10% damage increase, increased velocity on special moves, opponents float higher during juggles
- Standing CD now moves forward and has lower-body invincibility.
- Heavy Dragon Tail (qcb+D) has faster recovery; it can be followed up with a normal move after it hits.
- Light Dragon Tail (qcb+B) has faster startup and can be comboed from heavy attacks.
- EX Dragon Tail (qcb+BD) does less guard crush damage.
- EX Air Dragon Kick (Air dp+BD) now hits 3 times like its ground version and does 154 damage (previously 35×3).
- All frames on Drink Nomi (qcb qcb+P) have been changed. It recovers faster now.
- Light Dragon Backbreaker (qcf hcb+A) is now a 1F throw instead of a leaping throw.
- Standing Light Kick () - Quick with good range and it combos into slide. Good way to start a punish if there isn't much time and you need to make up distance.
- Standing Heavy Punch () - Good range and special cancellable (try the heavy Dragon Kick), helps Hwa confirm a combo from a greater distance. Also works as a far anti-air.
- Close Heavy Kick (Close ) - Close knee attack. Seems to have a smaller window than close Heavy Punch to combo afterwards.
- Crouching Heavy Punch ( + ) - Great horizontal reach but has little verticality. Doesn't work well as anti-air.
- Blowback Attack ( + ) - Use when you detect a sweep or slide. More utitlity than most blowback attacks.
- Jumping Heavy Punch (Air ) - Cancelling into light aerial Dragon Tail allows you to link a close heavy punch afterwards.
- Jumping Heavy Kick (Air ) - Good, deep diagonally angled kick that's great for jumping in with, though maybe not as much hitstun as the heavy punch. Use interchangably.
- Sliding (+ ) - A great cancellable slide. Superb range for a combo starter or to put inbetween a close normal and a special. Doesn't go under projectiles unfortunately.
- Bakuretsuken ( + ) - Combos from close normals but not mid-screen after a slide. The follow up launches. Cancel it into a Heavy Dragon Tail and the opponent is still airborne for further punishment.
- Dragon Tail ( + ) - Not an overhead. Outside of combos, this is a move for keeping the pressure on. Heavy travels much higher in the air.
- Air Dragon Tail (Air + ) - The light allows you to continue moving with jump momentum while the heavy moves you backwards. The light combos from a jumping Heavy punch.
- Dragon Kick ( + ) - Heavy has horizontal range, Light is the anti-air. Heavy can be cancelled on either hit which is important to bear in mind when working on combos.
- Air Dragon Kick (Air + ) - Heavy is very similar to the grounded version, light is angled 45 degrees downwards.
- Drink Nomi ( + ) - Increases damage done by 10% (substantially more with Dragon Backbreaker) and specials have more lift to them, allowing you to keep juggle combos going longer. Lasts 10 seconds on the in game timer.
- Dragon Dance ( + ) - A smashing move for finishing juggle combos. Bugger all priority. Don't expect to hit with this raw very often.
- Dragon Backbreaker ( + ) - Light is a close one frame grab, Heavy a far jumping one. Use the Light either in combos or when you're opponent is right next to you and at frame disadvantage, such as a failed ranbu super attempt. The Heavy can be worked into quite a few natural setups or simply wait for your opponent to make a mistake and punish. Has startup invulnerability. Gets a hefty damage boost from 'Drink Nomi'.
- Final: Dragon Kick ( + + ) - Can either connect for full damage or not connect fully for a reduced amount.
Tips and Tricks
- High level Muay Thai tactics.
- Always listen to this while fighting. Bonus points if you're drunk while hearing it.