The King of Fighters XIII/Iori
In a nutshell
Traditionally, Iori has the been the kind of character that has mostly every type of tool at his disposal. With the change of his moveset in King of Fighters XII and XIII, Iori has been focused into rushdown character with stronger "inside" mix-ups at the expense of his ability to zone and space against opponents with his projectile. Overall, his normals have remained the same and his close game is complemented with a new, better overhead attack and an Orochi Yashiro-like (from King of Fighters 97/98) command grab that gives Iori hit-reset mix ups that are hard to read. To newer players, one could liken this kind of mix up to Sakura's EX Shunpukyaku hit-reset mix up in the Street Fighter IV series, but with heightened dynamics. Essentially, Iori is dangerous up close and is able to confirm into easy, damaging combos from a single mix-up all while retaining some form of defense with his good grounded and aerial normal attacks.
- Geshiki: Kui (df+C) has a larger hitbox than before. It is easier to connect it after Tsuchitsubaki (hcf+P).
- Heavy Shogetsu (qcb+C) moves forward more. It combos in most situations after close C > Yumebiki (f+A,A). Previously, it would only combo from close C > f+A.
- EX Shogetsu (qcb+AC) no longer has full invinciblity. However, it still has lower-body invincibility.
- Heavy Akegarasu (qcb+D) has faster recovery on block. It can't be punished with normal moves.
- Kin 1211 Shiki: Yaotome (including EX) (qcf hcb+P) causes a hard knockdown instead of a soft knockdown.
- Kin 1218 Shiki : Yatagarasu (qcf qcf+BD) causes a hard knockdown instead of a soft knockdown.
- Standing Light Punch () -
- Close Light Punch (Close ) -
- Standing Light Kick () -
- Close Light Kick (Close ) -
- Standing Heavy Punch () -
- Close Heavy Punch (Close ) -
- Standing Heavy Kick () -
- Close Heavy Kick (Close ) -
- Crouching Light Punch ( + ) -
- Crouching Light Kick ( + ) -
- Crouching Heavy Punch ( + ) -
- Crouching Heavy Kick ( + ) -
- Blowback Attack ( + ) -
- Jumping Light Punch (Air ) -
- Jumping Light Kick (Air ) -
- Jumping Heavy Punch (Air ) -
- Jumping Heavy Kick (Air ) -
- Jumping Blowback Attack (Air + ) -
- 104 Shiki: Nueuchi ( + ) -
- 401 Shiki : Shogetsu ( + ) -
- 129 Shiki : Akegarasu ( + ) -
- 203 Shiki : Tsuchitsubaki ( + ) -
- Kin 1211 Shiki: Yaotome ( + ) -
- Kin 1218 Shiki : Yatagarasu (×2 + + ) -
Tips and Tricks
- cr.B cr.A f+A xx qcb+C, cr.D - (206, 25)
- (jump attack) cl.C f+A xx qcb+C, cr.D - (232, 26)
BnB combo, omitting the cr.D gives much better okizeme. If you choose to omit cr.D, you can do f+A,A instead of f+A for more damage. cl.B can link into cl.C, allowing for a more damaging BnB off a low. In the corner, you can always do f+A,A instead of f+A and you can choose to reset with cl.A or cl.C instead for better frame advantage than doing cr.D.
- (corner only) cr.B cr.A f+A xx dp+C, qcb+A, cr.D - (249, 29)
- (corner only)(jump attack) cl.C f+A xx dp+C, qcb+A, cr.D - (278, 30)
Alternatively, you can choose to reset the opponent with cl.A or cl.C which yields a bit less damage but better mixup opportunities. This combo whiffs on crouchers.
- hyperhop j.D - (114, 7)
This is a typical KOF reset mixup. After hitting, you can run under and meaty them on the other side, or stop short and meaty on the front, into a hitconfirm.
- run up cl.C xx qcb+B - (116, 7)
It is very difficult to see which side Iori will end up on with this reset, even for the attacker. That's why it is best to hitconfirm off a cr.BA, so you have more time to see which direction is needed for the f+A.
- cl.B f+A xx hcf+P
- hyperhop j.D - (160, 14)
- run up, cl.C xx qcb+B - (162, 14)
Hitconfirm off a low into command grab for further mixups.
- cr.B cr.A f+A xx qcb+C
- qcf, hcb+P - (323, 18)
- qcf, hcb+AC - (413,18)
- (jump attack) cl.C f+A xx qcb+C
- qcf,hcb+P (345, 19)
- qcf,hcb+AC - (438, 19)
BnB combo followed up into super.
- (corner only) cr.B cr.A f+A xx dp+C, qcb+A
- qcf,hcb+P - (363, 22)
- qcf,hcb+AC - (452, 22)
- (corner only)(jump attack) cl.C f+A xx dp+C, qcb+A
- qcf,hcb+P - (395, 23)
- qcf,hcb+AC - (485, 23)
A corner only juggle, gives a significant increase in damage compared to te BnB combo.
- dash, dp+C, qcb, hcf+P - (305, 6)
- dp+C, qcb, hcf+AC - (410, 6)
Typical combos into super off Iori's grab. The dash is not obligatory to connect Iori's DM, but it makes the timing significantly easier.
- cl.B f+A xx hcf+P
- dash, dp+C, qcb, hcf+P - (343, 13)
- dp+C, qcb, hcf+AC - (436, 13)
These combos do a bit more damage than combo into super off cr.BA, but because you can only confirm at the f+A, which is negative on block, for terms of rushdown, these follow-ups are not preferred.
- cl.C f+A xx qcb+B (DC) hcf+P
- (corner only) cl.C f+A xx dp+C, qcb+A (1) (DC) dp+C, qcb+B, qcb+A
- cl.A - (349, 41)
- qcf hcb+P - (497, 38)
- qcf hcb+AC - (574, 38)
- (corner only) cl.C df+C (HD) cl.C df+C xx dp+A (HDC) [qcb+B (HDC) dp+C] x 5, qcb+B, qcb+A
- cl.A - (690, 32)
- qcf hcb+P - (843, 29)
- qcf hcb+AC - (879, 29)
- cl.C df+C (HD) cl.C df+C xx [qcb+B (HDC) qcb+C (1) (HDC)] x 3, qcb+B (HDC) hcf+P, dash, dp+C, qcf hcb+P - (672, 11)
- (corner only) cl.C df+C (HD) cl.C df+C xx dp+A (HDC) [qcb+B (HDC) dp+C] x 3, qcb+B, qcf hcb+P (MC) qcf qcf+BD - (982, 11)
- Do shit
- Always remember: you do not have a fireball.
Stay calm when playing Iori, or else his Orochi blood may awaken.