The King of Fighters XIII/Mai
In a nutshell
Of course this Fatal Fury femme fatale returns with this iteration of The King of Fighters. Although she has uniquely fast but high-arcing jumps and hops that makes her high and low game slightly more obvious, her focus is in her ability to zone and coax the opponent into approaching and setting them up for a trap. She's a tricky character with strong ground and aerial game. Though she may lack a fast attack that quickly rises above her vertically for an easy anti-air, she could play in a proactive manner that covers her bases thoroughly make up for her short comings. So while she may require the player to be more familiar and comfortable with spacing with normals, she's a fun and tricky character to play and has great attacks that beat out and control hop usage really well.
- Crouching C has more cancelable frames.
- Ukihane (Air d+B) has a different trajectory than Arcade, and recovery time has been changed.
- Added new target combo: st.B > st.D. It can be used to connect into HD mode and also gives Mai more damage on pokes.
- Kachousen (qcf+P) has faster startup and faster recovery.
- Musasabi no Mai (from ground) (d~u+P) can be canceled with Ukihane (d+B).
- Light Ryuu Enbu (qcb+A) hitbox is larger vertically.
- Added EX Air Chou Hissatsu Shinobibachi (Air qcb hcf+BD). It is invincible until it becomes active.
- Shiranui Ryuu: Kunoichi no Mai (qcf hcb+AC) has faster startup and freezes time after flying to the edge of screen.
Tips and Tricks
- cr.B cr.A xx qcf+C - (144, 18)
- (jump attack) cl.C xx qcb+C - (166, 19)
- j.D xx d+B -127/17
- (corner only) cl.C xx qcb+A, cr.C - (194, 22)
- (jump attack) cl.C xx qcb+AC, hcf+D - (267, 15 [mid-screen] / 308, 19 [corner])
- (corner only) (jump attack) cl.C xx qcb+AC, qcb+C, qcb+C, cl.C or airgrab - (395, 38 / 431, 31)
These combos can be optionally started with cr.BA to allow a hitconfirm.
- cl.C xx qcb hcf+BD, airgrab - (408, 7)
- (corner only) (jump attack) cl.C xx hcf+D (2 hits) (DC) air qcb+C, qcb+C, cr.C or airgrab - (345, 42 / 383, 35)
- (corner only) cl.C xx qcb+ AC, qcb+C, qcb+C (1 hit) (DC) qcf+A, qcb+C, qcb+C, cl.C or airgrab - (497, 62 / 514,55)