The King of Fighters XIII/Ralf
In a nutshell
Ralf "Rambo" Jones is rather different than how you may remember him. Although he is still primarily based around mid range zoning, abusing his powerful far normals like st.C and st.D, and his amazing st.CD, Ralf has also lost the use of his command grab. To make up for this, he's been given a cancelable cr.B, along with some extremely powerful basic combos that do a lot of stun and damage, making him a powerful first character. Unlike many a lot of other chars in XIII, Ralf's combos do not really involve quick inputs or juggles, but he has more of an emphasis on links. His execution requirements are fairly low (unless you are extremely bad at loose links!), and most of his game is space control with normals, so you may feel more comfortable with Ralf's slower, more basic combos and easy to grasp zoning game coming from a Street Fighter background.
Charged Lv.1: 220
Charged Lv.2: 260
Charged Lv.3: 320
Charged Lv.1: 340
Charged Lv.2: 380
Charged Lv.3: 500
- Crouching D has faster recovery.
- Heavy Burning Hammer (qcf+C) has faster recovery. It can combo into heavy Gatling Attack (b~f+C) without needing to cancel.
- During Vulcan Punch (P*) (all versions), Ralf can move forward.
- EX Burning Hammer (qcf+AC) has faster startup and can be comboed from heavy attacks.
- Both versions of Galactica Phantom (qcf qcf+P) can be charged (previously 220 for normal version, 360 for EX version).
- Far standing C can be canceled into Vulcan Punch.
- Vulcan Punch (press repeatedly) -
- Burning Hammer ( + ) -
- Explosive Punch ( + ) -
- Gatling Attack ( [charge] + ) -
- Blitzkrieg Punch (Air + ) -
Tips and Tricks
- Ralf's cr.B links into cl.C. Whilst his cr.B is cancelable, it's good to use this as its a great blockstring/frametrap tool, and can autohitconfirm if your cr.b wasn't blocked.
- Starting from cr.B in general for any of these links will reduce the damage of your combo by about 30, as you need to avoid using df.A.
- Ralf's EX Gatling Attacking (charge b~f+AC) is his only comboable hard knockdown. If you feel the need to do some more sustained pressure on your opponent, you could substitute it for any DM here at the cost of a lot of damage.
- Any instance of a combo from qcf+C into cr.C xx special/super, could be ended in cr.D sweep instead if you don't want to push your opponent a long way away for whatever reason (fireball character, etc). Again this costs you damage.
- cr.B cr.B xx charge b~f+C - (143, 14)
A pretty weak combo from a low. It does lead to a knockdown however, which may be more favourable in some situations.
- cr.B df.A xx qcf+C, charge b~f+C - (216, 27)
Ralf's basic combo from a low. df.A may not connect from a more distanced cr.B.
- (cr.B) cl.C df.A xx qcf+C, cr.C xx charge b~f+C - (280, 39)
Ralf's basic meterless combo. If starting from cr.B, you have to omit the df.A, and you may need to skip the df.A from distanced jumpins or just a longer ranged cl.C hit. Does great damage for a meterless combo. If from a jumpin or distanced confirm from cl.C into df.A, can go straight into charge b~f+C instead and omit cr.C.
- cr.C xx qcf+C, charge b~f+C - (202, 23)
For confirming from cr.C pokes when you're fairly close.
- cr.C xx charge b~f+C - (160, 15)
Combo to use when confirming from a very long range cr.C poke. If you're closer, use the combo above.
- (cr.B) cl.C df.A xx qcf+C, cr.C xx qcbhcf+K - (416, 31)
Ralf's extremely powerful basic DM combo. As before, omit the df.A if starting from cr.B, or from a distanced confirm.
- cr.B df.A xx qcf+C, qcbhcf+K - (344, 19)
The easier low confirm into DM for ralf.
- cr.C xx qcf+C, qcbhcf+K - (334, 15)
- cr.C xx qcbhcf+K - (296, 7)
DM combos for cr.C pokes from distance.
- (cr.B) cl.C df.A xx qcf+C, cr.C xx qcfqcf+AC - (445, 31)
- cr.B df.A xx qcf+C, qcfqcf+AC - (391, 19)
- cr.C xx qcf+C qcfqcf+AC - (387, 15)
- cr.C xx qcfqcf+AC - (355, 7)
Ralf's qcfqcf+AC DM does not really add that much damage for the extra bar compared to qcbhcf+K. Considering he's mostly used as a battery, you may not always want to do these combos.
- (any combo starter, or raw reversal)qcf+AC, delay, charge qcfqcf+AC max duration (hold AC) - (600, 0)
Not really a combo, but qcf+AC gives you enough time to meaty the unblockable fully charged Galactica Phantom. This CAN be reversal rolled or wakeup reversal with invul'd through, so its not legit.
- cl.C df.A xx qcf+C, cr.C xx charge b~f+C (DC 1st hit) qcf+C, charge b~f+C - (339, 51)
- cr.B df.A xx qcf+C, charge b~f+A (DC 2nd hit) qcf+C, charge b~f+C - (300, 45)
High stun combos. Can be useful if you don't have any meter for damage.
- cl.C df.A qcf+C, cr.C charge b~f+C (DC 1st hit) qcf+C, qcbhcf+K - (464, 43)
- cr.B df.A qcf+C, charge b~f+A (DC) qcf+C, qcbhcf+K - (425, 37)
- cl.C xx qcf+C charge b~f+C (DC 1st hit) qcf+C cr.C xx qcfqcf+AC - (484, 43)
- cr.B df.A xx qcf+C charge b~f+A (DC) qcf+C qcfqcf+AC - (445, 37)
As you can see, again these combos are not really worth the extra bar.
The 2 bar NeoMax is a blessing for Ralf, his HD combos now do pretty good damage for lower cost. Possible to start HD combos from cr.B df.A. Also possible to start HD combos with cl.C/cr.B df.A xx qcf+C st.C (HD) ... for more damage.
- (cr.B) cl.C df.A (HD) cl.C df.A qcf+C [charge b~f+A HDC qcf+C] x5 qcbhcf+K - (626, 24)
- (cr.B) cl.C df.A (HD) cl.C df.A qcf+C [charge b~f+A HDC qcf+C] x4 charge b~f+A HDC hcbhcb+AC - (763, 16)
- (cr.B) cl.C df.A (HD) cl.C df.A qcf+C [charge b~f+A HDC qcf+C] x3, qcfhcb+K (last hit) HDC hcbhcb+AC - (854, 16)
Thanks to arcade buffs, these now should work corner to corner. May not work on all crouching chars though. Try to do cl.C df.A after the HD activation as late as possible to make sure you're point blank and have pushed the opponent as far in as possible.
- (corner only)(full jump) j.C cl.C df.A qcf+C, st.C (HD) cl.C df.A qcf+C charge b~f+A HDC qcb+AC HDC qcf+C, qcb+AC HDC qcf+C, qcfhcb+K (last hit) HDC hcbhcb+AC - (1008-100%)
Gimmick combo, you'll probably never land this but hey.
- Do Galactica Phantom