Difference between revisions of "The King of Fighters XIII/Shen"
|Line 285:||Line 285:|
=== Advanced Strategy ===
=== Advanced Strategy ===
Jama da! Uurya! Ora ora, ORA!
Jama da! Uurya! Ora ora, ORA!
=== Frame Data ===
=== Frame Data ===
Revision as of 10:16, 23 November 2011
In a nutshell
Shen the Shanghainese brawler likes to drink and beat people senseless in the streets. Shen is an offensive beast with almost every tool imaginable available to him to deal with whatever is thrown his way. While infamous for his killer Hyperdrive combos, Shen is strong placed anywhere on a team. His low mixup is somewhat lackluster without HD Meter, but Shen can easily make up for it with his command grab and the wall of hitboxes on his normals. Shen's a low execution character who's easy to learn while being a superb team member for advanced players.
- Gekiken (Feint) (qcf+[C] > K) has faster recovery. However, it will not work if the kick button is pressed too soon.
- Gekiken! (qcf+[C]) does about half a bar of guard crush damage. Previously, it would fully guard crush most characters.
- Danken (hcb f+P) has slower startup and still has no invincibility. However, it can be Drive-canceled.
- Danken (Reflect) (qcb+C) builds up meter if successful. It still does not build any Drive meter.
- EX Fukkogeki > Koryugeki (qcb+AC > qcf+A) has slower recovery when blocked. It is completely punishable.
- Standing Light Punch () - Standard Standing Light Punch for anti-airing and controlling the hop space while being vulnerable to low attacks.
- Standing Light Kick () - A somewhat fast shin kick. Unlike most Standing Light Kicks, this one neither hits low nor is cancelable making it only viable as a mid-hitting poke or as part of a HD combo hitconfirm. Has a decent reach on it so makes for a safe normal when spacing on the ground at the very least.
- Standing Heavy Punch () - This baby is THE 'Far C' move. Shen attacks a little below shoulder level which makes this move hit crouching opponents, while still being high enough to control the hop space in front of him or serve as an anti-air (especially with the autoguard). The range isn't too amazing on this punch and Shen has some hefty recovery on whiff making it a risk if range is miscalculated. Otherwise a really meaty poke that can lead into big damage.
- During the startup there's a window of guard frames on Shen's upper body which helps when using this attack to anti-air.
- On hit a player can cancel Standing Heavy Punch into any of Shen's DMs.
- Close Heavy Punch (Close ) - An inward body blow aimed around an opponent's lower torso. This move comes out slightly faster than Shen's Close Heavy Kick making it the normal of choice to be canceled into + . Pretty standard as far as Close normals go while not hitting high enough to be used as an anti-air, but nonetheless an important tool for starting Shen's blockstrings/hitconfirms.
- Standing Heavy Kick () - Shen performs a long spinkick similar to Iori's Standing Heavy Kick. Likewise it carries with it a really long reach that hits both standing and crouching opponents. This is Shen's longest poke which controls a large portion of the ground space when active.
- An opponent could read the Standing Heavy Kick and attempt to hop or jump on it to beat it, or during the startup Shen could be counterhit out, especially when the opponent has the advantage.
- From the max hittable range of the poke an opponent would have to commit to a sweep or heavy normal to outpoke it, which the Shen player could bait and punish on whiff, or by hopping over the attack. From this max range an opponent could more easily hop over Shen's leg and combo him, so be aware of how the opponent reacts at each range.
- Close Heavy Kick (Close ) - Knee to the chest. Starts up slower and is used less than Close Heavy Punch in close situations, but this move works a little better as an anti-air than the latter should it come out instead of a throw due to the slightly taller hitbox and from Shen's body bending back.
- Crouching Light Punch (+ ) - Similar to Shen's Standing Light Punch but done crouching while Shen opens his mouth. Shen can't get much damage off of canceling his Crouching Light Punch so this normal isn't used much at all as Crouching Light Kick out-ranges it while hitting low.
- A player can use the cancelability property of this move to open up an opponent. By canceling into a safe special the opponent will begin to respect Crouching Light Punch, remaining blocking afterward. This opens up an opportunity for the Shen player to continue an offense from attacking again during this hesitation.
- Crouching Light Kick (+ ) - Long-reaching low kick that can be chained three times from up close, but isn't cancelable. His low chain series works great as a Hyperdrive mode hitconfirm, but otherwise serves more for making an opponent block low. Works as a tripguard meaty and can be incorporated into Shen's offensive pressure, but opponents wont be too afraid of this move until Shen's sitting on a full HD stock or when the opponent's Guard Gauge is low.
- Crouching Heavy Punch (+ ) - A mighty anti-air standing uppercut, just look at that arm shake! The vertical hitbox on this move is an aerial wall, while having no horizontal reach. As such it makes for one of Shen's best anti-airs against jumps or hops where the opponent will jump into Shen's arm. If whiffed, Shen continues shaking his arm in recovery which gives the opponent a large window to punish for a full combo. Ideally used when on reaction to a hop or jump.
- While this normal is technically cancelable, this only refers to a very short hitting window that occurs before Shen stands up, from which point Shen can't cancel into anything.
- Crouching Heavy Kick (+ ) - Low-hitting, cancelable sweep kick. Works the same as other sweeps for frametrap applications and for punishing grounded pokes. Since Shen's Crouching Light Kick doesn't always lead to much damage, using Crouching Heavy Kick as a tripguard anti-air against poor air-to-ground approaches may work better as the Shen player would score a soft knockdown.
- Blowback Attack ( + ) - After a heavy startup time, Shen moves forward into a shoulder tackle. Fairly standard Blowback Attack, but the hitbox range isn't that long. Instead the most interesting aspect is how fast Shen sneaks forward before the hipcheck.
- Works alright in the corner when fishing for Counterhits as Shen can easily score more damage from the juggle state afterward.
- Jumping Light Punch (Air ) - Downward punch angled higher than Jumping Heavy Punch making it a poorer air-to-ground while still being a poor air-to-air. Not much usefulness.
- Jumping Light Kick (Air ) - High-angled upward kick with a fast startup, making for a great air-to-air option against opponents above or in front of Shen. Leaves Shen vulnerable to lows if whiffed from a jump.
- Jumping Heavy Punch (Air ) - Shen punches almost directly downward below him. Carries a deep vertical hitbox making for Shen's best air-to-ground approach from a hop. Has a moderate deal of hitstun allowing it to come out earlier than Jumping Heavy Kick while still allowing Shen to combo afterward.
- Jumping Heavy Kick (Air ) - Horizontal Rider Kick. Can air-to-air opponents below Shen near the end of his foot or closer, while as a ground-to-air approach works best when Shen's shoe just touches the opponent. In a situation where Shen wouldn't hit with the end of his leg from this move, Jumping Heavy Punch would work better as an aerial approach. Likewise when the punch would whiff, use the kick. The hitstun on this move is low, meaning a player should use this move close to the ground in order to result in the most frame advantage. Additionally, Shen can cross up with the back end of this move.
- Jumping Blowback Attack (Air + ) - Jumping backfist and otherwise giant hitbox. The bulk of this move is by Shen's fist, making it poor up close where Jumping Heavy Punch would connect much easier and earlier. A player can also make this move hit crouching opponents if activated late on Shen's aerial arc.
- When used from the same spacing as Jumping Heavy Kick this move works as a great air-to-ground approach and air-to-air controller. Simultaneous air and ground control makes this Shen's best aerial move to throw out if unsure where the opponent will be near the end of the jump. Commands good respect when spaced and timed correctly telling an opponent they can not advance.
- Fusenkyaku ( + ) - The big boot. A straight, cancelable kick to an opponent's tummy. Only combos from a Close Heavy normal, but can be canceled into from said normals for free in order to extend his hitconfirm length, while Shen can cancel into a + Feint to make the command normal advantageous on block.
- Allows for all of Shen's specials and DMs to connect on hit. Slow to start up if used on its own which makes it real risky, and if not feint canceled leaves Shen somewhat vulnerable.
- Canceling into a feint builds meter and makes Shen safe from retaliation and Blowback Counter Attacks, but canceling into + on block could anti-air an opponent hoping to hop immediately after the + , while giving Shen time to score another hit after the launch.
- Kokakugeki ( or + or [While Close]) - Triple headbutt throw that places the opponent a hop's range away from Shen. The spacing doesn't allow for a tight crossup, but leaves enough time for Shen to meaty the opponent from a hop attack.
- After landing Danken ( + ) against an opponent the player can begin to incorporate Kokakugeki into throw attempts. An opponent reading Danken ( + ) could hop and punish the whiffed command grab. If an opponent jumps and Kokakugeki is used a Close or normal would anti-air the airborne opponent. Similarly Danken ( + ) will lose to Alternate Guarding which results in the Shen player being punished from whiffing. Here again a Kokakugeki attempt will be safer as a normal attack will be triggered if the opponent is not in a throwable state. Trading damage for the safety that comes built in to Kokakugeki is a smart practice against opponents who haven't been able to act in a while and therefore their next move is hard to read.
- Gekiken - ( + ) - Shen's dash punch, similar to Makoto's Hayate from Street Fighter. Moves Shen 1/4 th screen's length. Easy to Drive Cancel into specials or DMs, although not really an efficient setup or situation. Combos from + into a soft knockdown.
- Gekiken! - ( + [Hold to Charge]) - This section will refer to the version of Shen's dash punch as it's that important. After the input the player can continue to hold down to make Shen charge up his punch:
- There are essentially four levels of charge: instant or not charged, followed by a 'level 1' activated by charging just a little, then 'level 2' which takes one second to be reached, then finally 'level 3' after two seconds.
- The fully charged punch will automatically be released after two seconds, causing a superflash followed by a dash punch similar to Shen's + DM but with no invulnerability. If blocked, the level 3 punch will cause a guard break against all normal-sized guard meters while on hit the opponent will be crumpled.
- Works as a strong anti-air when released; even on a trade Shen recovers fast enough to combo + .
- Moves Shen 2/3 across the screen and can be difficult to punish on block. Does not, however, combo from any grounded normals.
- Gekiken! (Feint) - ([While Charging + Press ) - Any time while charging + the player can press any button to cancel into Shen's neutral stance, identical to how Makoto can also cancel her Hayate.
- If an opponent blocks Shen's string of j. cl. + , the player can easily confirm the block into a canceled dash punch which will leave Shen with the frame advantage while making it difficult for an opponent to Guard Cancel Roll or Guard Cancel Blowback successfully.
- Shen gains meter for initiating a dash punch; combined with quick canceling this allows for easy meter building by repeatedly starting and feinting his Gekiken!.
- Gekiken ( + + ) - Similar in startup to the version with the distance of + , but this version gives Shen a hit of armor to absorb an attack and launches the opponent high on hit, allowing his + + to link on hit anywhere afterward. Not as strong for plowing through anything like his faster and more invulnerable DMs, but less overt with the lack of a super flash.
- Fukkogeki - ( + ) - Double-handed overhead smash. Shen's only grounded overhead which can also form a solid blockstring when done from + . However note that this move is unsafe on block, making it risky to use against a blocking opponent while he use more damaging specials to end a combo. Works well against crumpled opponents though.
- Fukkogeki - ( + + ) - EX overhead slam that works the same as the normal version and still has the followup swing. The main purpose is to get a little more damage with the ender now launching an opponent higher which will allow for certain followups to be linked that the normal version lacks.
- Koryugeki - ( + ) - Followup move to + that knocks the opponent backward with an upward swing. Even more unsafe on block than the first hit so it should be saved for on hit or in a juggle combo. Could be Drive Canceled on hit, but will not allow for any link followup on hit against a grounded opponent.
- Danken - ( + ) - An instant command grab smack with a standard KOF command grab range (which is fairly short-reaching as opposed to a Street Fighter '360' range) that combos off any of Shen's cancelable normals, the most notable being off of + while also being linkable off of Crouching Light Kick. Like all instant grabs, this one can be used on wakeup as a reversal but the risk on whiff rarely justifies the small reward if it connects.
- Gives Shen an alright frame advantage from the soft knockdown and more importantly pushes an opponent back far toward the corner.
- Due to Shen's low threat being weak without full HD meter and as an instant grab is faster than a Crouching Light Kick, performing an empty hop into this grab will catch blocking opponents and beat the throwtech option select, making it a cool addition to Shen's offensive game.
- Danken - ( + + ) - An pimp slap that sends opponents groveling on their knees. Comboable from the same instances where the normal version works and even has an increased grab range. After the backhand, the opponent is crumpled which gives Shen a followup.
- Danken (Reflect) - ( + ) - A projectile deflector (Shen does not actually reflect the projectile back at the opponent) that will make Shen smack aside any fireball unfortunate enough to head into his hand.
- After nullifying an projectile, the player can freely cancel Shen into any special or DM move. By canceling into a + Feint Shen builds extra meter while returning to neutral even faster.
- From close ranges, a player could turn a deflect into a damage opportunity with a DM or by releasing the + . So even without meter to steamroll through projectiles Shen has a really good answer to them.
- Tenrenken - ( + ) - After sliding forward a bit, Shen goes into an uppercut. version is faster and travels a short distance, but launches an opponent lower than the version. version connects from + , but doesn't launch a grounded opponent very high.
- Once an opponent is airborne, a player should land as many + hits as possible as each hit keeps the opponent in a free-hittable state, making this move the cement holding Shen's HD combos together.
- While the hitbox is good enough to anti-air, the startup takes a while meaning it can't be done on reaction to a hop or jump even.
- Tenrenken - ( + + ) - Looks similar to the version upper, but hits once while Shen moves forward and then hits a second time with the uppercut which launches an opponent high above Shen. Will combo from + making for a great use for one meter from a combo. Not any better as a risky anti-air or anything; this move is really just for scooping enemies off the ground or from a crumple state to allow for one million Tenrenkens ( + ) to hit afterward afterward.
- Tatsu: Gekiken ( + ) - This dash punch will power through most any attack. Shen becomes invulnerable while active, sporting an enormous wall of pain for the opponent. Starts up fast enough to punish things on reaction from 3/4 the screen's distance while dealing hefty damage. Connects well against airborne opponents and works as a juggle ender. Still, the startup is reasonably 'slow' as far as reversals go making for a poor wakeup choice against meaty attacks. Quite unsafe if blocked or if the opponent rolls backward.
- On Counterhit causes a Wallbounce which can lead into another DM, a reset, or a special move to land.
- Provides the player with another answer to projectiles, aerial approaches, or other threatening hitboxes.
- Tatsu: Gekiken ( + + ) - Even faster to start, still an enormous moving hitbox, and even more damaging. Connects from even more juggles at lower heights. Even better for punishing anything on reaction and still 'counterwires' the opponent.
- Bakushin - (~~~) - Shen stops hiding his powerlevel and sends out an energy wave around him. Costs 2 meter to use and is activated by pressing the four buttons in sequential order. The typical uses allow time for a player to buffer the first three inputs behind a special during combos, or during down time when waking up. Has a big vertical hitbox but not as much horizontal reach. Works as a reversal against sloppy hops or jumps but can be baited, safejumped and punished (i.e. it's not as good as Ash's Sans-culotte (~~~)).
- After activation Shen glows with a healthy GAL-O glow, during which time he deals 30% extra damage. This damage even applies to the initial explosion. Makes for a great corner combo ender and due to the damage boost Shen can finish off an opponent in a few solid pokes afterward due to the damage buff. The DM cannot be used again until the glow fades in about 5 seconds.
- Tenshou Bakushingeki - ( + + ) - Shen shrinks low to the ground and slides forward 3/4 of the screen. While it's fast, the hitbox is low to the ground which makes it harder to land against an aerial opponent than his + + . Still sports a long amount of invulnerability, but is a more costly gamble to toss out than the DM.
Tips and Tricks
- Shen's cr.B links into cr.C. Whilst this is not the easiest link, learning this will let you really scare an opponent with your damage potential from a low.
- (jump attack) cl.C f.B xx hcb,f+P - (239, 13)
- Most damaging meterless BnB.
- cr.B (cr.A), hcb,f+P - (161, 6)
- Good as a low threat but requires close proximity.
- cr.B cr.C f.B xx hcb,f+P - (256, 16)
- Another low combo, a bit trickier this time.
- qcf+C (Fully Charged), qcb+A qcf+A - (302, 30)
- After the charged punch connects, the opponent is crumpled which limits Shen's combo options more than a guard break would.
- (jump attack) cl.C f.B xx qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcf+D, j.C - (383, 32)
- j.C should be done from a forward hop for the reset.
- hcb,f+AC qcb+A qcf+A - (222, 10)
- The most damaging meterless followup to a crumple from ex command grab.
- qcf+C (Fully Charged), qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcf+D, j.C - (463, 39)
- As you've already seen. In order to get a proper combo after a crumple, you need to blow a bar of meter or drive.
- (jump attack) cl.C f.B xx qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcf+D, qcfqcf+P - (488, 25)
- (corner only) (jump attack) cl.C f.B xx qcf+D, CABC - (459, 19)
- Does slightly less damage but will let you get your 30% damage boost on a cornered opponent, leading to lots more potential damage.
- hcb,f+AC, qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcf+D j.C - (383, 19)
- qcf+C (Fully Charged), qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcf+D, qcfqcf+P - (576, 32)
- (jump attack) cl.C f.B xx qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcf+D, qcfqcf+AC - (558, 25)
- (jump attack) (corner only) cl.C f.B xx qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcf+D, qcf+B, CABC - (571, 33)
- hcb,f+AC, qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcf+D qcfqcf+P - (496, 12)
- (corner only) hcb,f+AC, qcf+D, CABC - (466, 6)
- qcf+C (Fully Charged), qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcf+D, qcfqcf+AC - (651, 32)
- (near corner) qcf+C (Fully Charged), qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcf+D, qcf+B CABC - (666, 30)
- (jump attack) cl.C f.B xx qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, j.C - (335, 36)
- (near corner) (jump attack) cl.C f.B xx qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+A, cl.C - (380, 44)
- A couple of basic Drive combo extenders.
- qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, j.C - (229, 23)
- Overhead combo.
- qcf+C (Fully Charged), qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+A, j.C - (465, 51)
- (near corner) qcf+C (Fully Charged), qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+D, j.C - (469, 49)
- As you can see, it's possible to blow Drive to get a juggle from crumple instead of just a bar of meter.
- (jump attack) cl.C f.B xx qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+A, j.C - (484, 50)
- (near corner) (jump attack) cl.C f.B xx qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+D, j.C - (487, 48)
- hcb,f+AC, qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, j.C - (337, 23)
- (near corner) hcb,f+AC, qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+A, j.C - (385, 31)
- (corner only) hcb,f+AC, qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, j.C - (389, 29)
- qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcfqcf+P - (357, 16)
- qcf+C (Fully Charged), qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+A, qcfqcf+P - (578, 44)
- (near corner) qcf+C (Fully Charged), qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+D, qcfqcf+P - (582, 42)
- (jump attack) cl.C f.B xx qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+A, qcfqcf+P - (567, 43)
- (near corner) (jump attack) cl.C f.B xx qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+D, qcfqcf+P - (570, 41)
- hcb,f+AC, qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+A, qcfqcf+P - (498, 24)
- (corner only) hcb,f+AC, qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+D, qcfqcf+P - (502, 22)
- qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcfqcf+AC - (442, 16)
- (near corner) qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+B CABC - (461, 24)
- qcf+C (Fully Charged), qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+A, qcfqcf+AC - (653, 44)
- qcf+C (Fully Charged), qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+A, CABC (must finish close to corner) - (647, 44)
- (near corner) qcf+C (Fully Charged), qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+D, CABC - (651, 42)
- As with previous CABC combos, they may do slightly less, but since you've already pushed the opponent to the corner, you're practically certified to get some scary pressure going.
- (jump attack) cl.C f.B xx qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+A, qcfqcf+AC - (622, 43)
- (jump attack) cl.C f.B xx qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+A, CABC (must finish close to corner) - (617, 43)
- (near corner) (jump attack) cl.C f.B xx qcf+BD, qcf+D, qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+D, CABC - (620, 41)
- hcb,f+AC, qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+A, qcfqcf+AC - (573, 24)
- (near corner) hcb,f+AC, qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+A, CABC (must finish close to corner) - (567, 24)
- (corner only) hcb,f+AC, qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+D, CABC - (571, 22)
- qcf+C (Fully Charged), qcf+BD qcf+D, qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+A qcfqcf+AC - (723, 50)
- qcf+C (Fully Charged), qcf+BD qcf+D, qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+A, CABC (must finish close to corner) - (718, 50)
- (near corner) qcf+C (Fully Charged), qcf+BD qcf+D, qcb+A qcf+A DC qcf+D, qcf+D, CABC - (721, 48)
- A combination of Shen's best possible combos without going into HD.
All of these combos can also start from a cr.B cr.B/st.B hitconfirm into BC as well. You can end any of these HD combos with qcfqcf+P by omitting the final qcf+B in the combo, at the cost of about 50 damage. If you're just looking to kill and want to save the bar, keep it in mind.
- (jump attack) cl.C f.B BC cl.C f.B xx qcb A qcf A [HDC] qcf D [HDC] qcf C [HDC] qcf D [HDC] qcb A (whiff) qcf A [HDC] qcf D [HDC] qcf C (Slightly Charged) [HDC] qcf D, qcf D, qcf B, CABC - (800 - Varies Depending on charge time of qcf+C, 33)
- Fullscreen corner carry combo that deals 80% if ended with CABC which then leaves Shen with a 30% damage increase to finish the round. Just be careful doing qcf+D HDC qcf+C as if done too fast will make Shen HDC into qcf,qcf+P DM.
- (near corner) (jump attack) cl.C f.B BC cl.C f.B xx qcb A qcf A [HDC] qcf D [HDC] qcf C (Slightly Charged) [HDC] qcf D [HDC] qcf C (Slightly Charged) [HDC] qcf D [HDC] qcf C (Slightly Charged) [HDC] qcf D, qcf D, qcf B, CABC - (820 - Varies Depending on charge time of qcf+C, 33)
- Corner variant that will do slightly do more damage and is moderately easier to do. This combo works from roughly 1/3 of the way to the corner.
Although not very practical, Shen has 2 100% HD combos, and an extremely easy 96% HD combo. Both require you to be at least 1/3 of the way to the corner.
- (near corner) j.C cl.C f.B BC cl.C f.B xx qcb A qcf A [HDC] qcf D [HDC] qcf C (Slightly Charged) [HDC] qcf D [HDC] qcf C (Slightly Charged) [HDC] qcf D [HDC] qcf C (Slightly Charged) [HDC] qcf D, CABC, qcfqcf+AC - (1000+ - 100%)
Extremely powerful 4 bar combo. With a jumpin, this is 100%, without it's basically 99%. You have to make sure to juggle them as high as possible with the final qcf+D, and get CABC and qcfqcf+AC out as fast as possible.
- (near corner) (jump attack) cl.C f.B BC cl.C f.B xx qcb A qcf A [HDC] qcf D [HDC] qcf C (Slightly Charged) [HDC] qcf D [HDC] qcf C (Slightly Charged) [HDC] qcf D, qcf D, qcf B, CABC [MAX] qcfhcb+AC - (1000+ - 100%)
- (near corner) (jump attack) cl.C f.B BC cl.C f.B xx CABC [MAX] qcfhcb+AC - (966, 13)
These combos are pretty much not worth doing unless you want to show off against the opponent's final character, as they cost 5 bars. You can input the cl.C f.B xx CABC as cl.C~A~f.B~C
- Shen has a pretty standard hop arc for rushing down. Use Jumping Heavy Kick or Jumping Blowback Attack for when approaching an opponent from a hop or hyperhop due to the additional horizontal reach, then stick with Jumping Heavy Punch once in an opponent's face.
- Attacking with Close Heavy Punch and canceling into Fusenkyaku ( + ) gives the player enough time to hitconfirm and follow up appropriately, especially when done after a jump-in. Due to Shen's low hitconfirms being spacing-dependent or requiring HD meter, going straight into Close Heavy Punch is a common occurrence.
- Shen's same offensive tools can be applied toward a midscreen defensive pressure that can be difficult to overcome.
- Being able to use Tatsu: Gekiken! ( + ) on reaction to a projectile or jump limits the opponent's methods of approaching Shen to the ground or by hopping. In order to punish or take advantage of the invulnerability window, the player should try to remain around 1/2 the screen's length from the opponent so that the punch hits.
- Charging up Gekiken! ( + [Hold to Charge]) from midscreen poses a threat in itself. An idling or indecisive opponent risks being hit by the fully charged punch, although an opponent could feign ignorance in order to bait the punch and punish by rolling or spacing for it to whiff. The real threat is that the Shen player could release the punch at any given time due to the safe nature of the move so an opponent may be wary of walking or running forward against a charging Shen. If the opponent decides to take to the air releasing the punch will either result in a clean anti-air or a trade which can be followed up with Tatsu: Gekiken! ( + ). Additionally the player could cancel into a Gekiken! Feint ([While Charging + Press ) to gauge the opponent's reaction and quickly build meter.
- Neutral hopping and performing Jumping Blowback Attack on the descent of the jump arc can air-to-air jumping opponents while also being able to hit oncoming grounded opponents.
- Be ready to anti-air offensive opponents. The main normals for the job are Standing Light Punch against hop pressure, Standing Heavy Punch against opponents approaching from in front of Shen, and Crouching Heavy Punch to deal with high distanced jumps/hops that would hit 'deep' towards Shen's body. Don't forget about either Crouching Kicks to catch the tripguard on poor jump-ins.
- Standing Heavy Punch controls the horizontal space in front of Shen exceptionally. Grounded approaches will have to respect the range and mid-hitting hitbox which leaves the opponent with the options of trying to whiff punish or counterpoke from the correct distance. Close-ranged hops will naturally be anti-aired by Standing Heavy Punch and with the Autoguard window factored in the player can beat long-reaching horizontal jump-in attacks that can typically be difficult to anti-air.
- Opponents trying to full jump outside of Standing Heavy Punch range put themselves at risk of Shen's other anti-air options against high-angled jump-ins such as Crouching Heavy Punch, Gekiken! ( + ), or an air-to-air.
- Don't forget about Danken (Reflect) ( + ) against projectiles. This works great when low or trying to conserve on meter and when outside of Tatsu: Gekiken! ( + ) range.
- Jama da! Uurya! Ora ora, ORA!
- Get angry and wreck stuff.