Crouch height: High
Wakeup: 19 frames
Recovery roll: 21 frames
- cancellable normals are close A, close B, far B, crouch B, close C, crouch C, close D, far D, jump B
- whiff cancellable normals are crouch B, close C, crouch C, close D, far D
- CD is cancellable into command moves, specials and DMs
- free cancellable into moves are hcf+P, hcb+P/B, dp+P/K and qcb+P(air)
- free cancellable out-of moves are f+Ax4 on all hits, dp+P/K on the last hit, hcf+P on the first hit and hcb+P/B on the first hit
- close B and crouch A are low attacks
- close A whiffs against low crouching opponents like Iori, Chin, Choi, Athena, etc
- C and D throws are both back-turned hard knockdowns
1. (hcb+B), Close BB, ~Close A(must be very close to connect), Crouch B, hcf+C/qcb hcf+P - 35%/45%
2. (hcb+B), Close D, f+Ax5, hcf+A - 40%
3. (hcb+B), Close C/Crouch C(1), hcf+P - 35%
4. (hcb+B), Close C/Crouch C(1), qcb hcf+P - 50%
5. f+C/D throw, rdp+A - 20%
6. CD/Jump CD, hcf+A - 25%
7. Crouch C(opponent in air), hcf+A - 20%
8. f+D throw, immediately dp+A - 30% (Mary, Kula, Yashiro, Orochi Yashiro, May Lee)
1. (Opponent in corner, Whip full screen away) qcb+A(air), CD, hcf+A(switched sides) - 38%
1. Jump CD(counterhit), CD, hcf+A - 40% (Corner)
2. CD(counterhit), hcf+A - 33% (Corner)
1. (hcb+B), Crouch C(1), BC, Crouch C(1), qcb hcf+AC - 55%
2. (hcb+B), Crouch C(1), BC, Crouch C(1), hcf+C, (S)qcb hcf+AC - 65%
3. (hcb+B), Crouch C(1), BC, Crouch C(1), hcf+C, (C)hcb+A(hold for split second and release), (C)hcf+C, (C)hcb+B, walk backwards slightly, Far C(1), (C)hcb+B, Close D, f+Ax5, hcf+A - 85% (Corner)
4. (hcb+B), CD(counterhit), BC, hcf+A, (C)hcb+A(hold for split second and release), (C)hcf+C, (C)hcb+B, Close BB, ~Close A, Crouch B, qcb hcf+AC - 80% (Corner)
-Whip's main offensive comes from her jump attacks, which are some of the best in the game. Her jump CD is very high priority. Her forward jump C is a great crossup attack especially when done early off a jumpin, since it acts as an instant overhead and very ambigious as to which direction to block. This can be abused by repeatedly hyper hopping over the opponent with jump C, which is very difficult to counter. Her jump D is fairly high priority and is two hits, and thus even if it is done early during a jump, it is still possible to combo after it with a close B. Mixing up jump crossup C and jump D with her close B (which hits low) gives her a good high/low game
-Her jumpins can also be used very defensively as well. Her vertical high jump A and C are great for intercepting jumpins as they have huge horizontal and vertical range. Jump A has less horizontal range but hits opponents above her as well
-Whip has one of the best standing CDs in the game, due to it's invincibility. This invincibility should not be overlooked. From testing, it is able to ALWAYS counterhit any counterattack on wakeup that does not have invincibility. This includes all rush DMs, and dp moves. Against moves with invincibility, if timed and spaced correctly, it can still win, or in the usual case, the stand CD and the invincible wakeup move will whiff. However, Whip is able to block immediately after her invincibility from the move is gone, which means if both moves whiff, she can still block and punish. This works against Ryo's dp+A and Athena's hcbx2+P, although it is suggested that you keep maximum distance from the opponent when fighting against those moves.
Of course, if the opponent knows that a move with invinciblity will beat the CD, you could try baiting them into doing the move by purposely mistiming your CD attack such that it whiffs just as they get up. This may trick a good player into reacting to the CD on wakeup, and since you will be blocking, you will have the opportunity to punish. Of course, this "trick" works as a general strategy for any character, but it works especially good with Whip if the opponent is aware of how good her CD attack is. Make sure to keep your distance with this move when fighting grapplers, as you can still be thrown out of it if close.
The stand CD is best used as an attack on the opponent's wakeup, but it can also be used as a ranged poke, as well as after a jumpin (although it would be recommended that the jump attack does not hit too deep, so that the stand CD is spaced). Cancel any CD that hits as an anti-air, into hcf+A which combos. Using it as a poke totally destroys Billy because it is able to hit him out of his crouch A, f+A and hcf+P with ease, and Whip doesn't even have to be anywhere near Billy.
Assuming the opponent is not careful when fighting Whip (or just doesn't know about the stand CD invincibility), she will almost always counterhit the opponent. It is possible to combo hcf+A after a counterhit CD, and it is not required that you actually cancel the stand CD into hcf+A (but rather, do hcf+A as soon as she recovers from stand CD). Supercancelling the hcf+A to DM will also connect. Cancelling the CD into maxmode and going for her corner maxmode juggle combo also works. If the opponent is being very careful against her stand CD, then you can create more mindgames by throwing on the opponent's wakeup instead of doing the CD. In addition, if the opponent rolls forward, through the CD, Whip recovers first and is able to throw the opponent.
Her stand CD can also avoid a variety of counters. CD counters will sometimes whiff, depending on who the character is that's doing the counter. May Lee's hcb+K counter also whiffs on the first hit, and be blockable on the other hits (allowing you to roll out during the counter, and combo her). If Yamazaki does hcf+K to counter the CD, Whip can actually hit him with a qcb hcf+P or hcf+C, while he is in the process of executing his uppercut punch. It does not seem possible to evade Billy's counters though.
- Baiting Yamazaki's hcf+K counter
Like most characters, Yamazaki can't do much of anything about Whip's well spaced on his wakeup. You can try to be predictable with it to make Yama want to use his hcf+K counter. Since Whip's stand CD has full invincibility on recovery, she will be able to hit Yama in the middle of his hcf+K using hcf+P or qcb hcf+P, though it must be done immediately after recovering from stand CD.
|General||Notation and Terms | Mechanics and Notes | Tiers | Unlimited Match|
|Characters||Ryo | Robert | Takuma | Terry | Andy | Joe | Kyo | Benimaru | Daimon | Kim | Chang | Choi | Mai | Yuri | May Lee | Ralf | Clark | Leona | Athena | Kensou | Chin | Iori | Mature | Vice | Billy | Mary | Yamazaki | Chris | Shermie | Yashiro | K' | Maxima | Whip | Vanessa | Seth | Ramon | Kula | K9999 | Angel | Orochi Chris | Orochi Shermie | Orochi Yashiro | Kusanagi|